This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wild Cherry M & M's

silk

silk Contributor

You know, just when I think I've gotten pretty good at this stuff I get lazy and do something stupid.

I bought a bag of the Limited Edition Wild Cherry M & M's thinking that because I had heard that M & M's were safe for us, that these would be okay too. Forgetting the rule of thumb about 'flavoring' I ate a handful, and only a handful and well lets just say that 4 days later I can tell you they are not gluten free in my intestinal opinion.

Lesson Learned. Plain M & M's good. Flavored M & M's bad. My question though is that on the bag they clearly list that the product is manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts and tree nuts but am I correct in thinking that if gluten is an ingredient in an ingredient, such as flavoring, that it does not have to be listed separately? And if this is so, it's really lame.

However, I do take full responsibility because I should have known better. Heavy sigh! We can have sweet pleasures, just not flavored ones! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

M&Ms are made by Mars, or Master Foods. I have spoke with them multiple times, the last time being a couple weeks ago and they said they will fully disclose any gluten in their ingredients.

larry mac Enthusiast
You know, just when I think I've gotten pretty good at this stuff I get lazy and do something stupid.

I bought a bag of the Limited Edition Wild Cherry M & M's thinking that because I had heard that M & M's were safe for us, that these would be okay too. Forgetting the rule of thumb about 'flavoring' I ate a handful, and only a handful and well lets just say that 4 days later I can tell you they are not gluten free in my intestinal opinion.

Lesson Learned. Plain M & M's good. Flavored M & M's bad. My question though is that on the bag they clearly list that the product is manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts and tree nuts but am I correct in thinking that if gluten is an ingredient in an ingredient, such as flavoring, that it does not have to be listed separately? And if this is so, it's really lame.

However, I do take full responsibility because I should have known better. Heavy sigh! We can have sweet pleasures, just not flavored ones! :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning that you got sick, but rather the source of your illness. I don't hesitate to eat anything containing natural or artificial flavorings. Haven't had any problems so far. I'm looking at a bag of Wildly Cherry M&M's, and they list artificial flavorings. I am under the impression that artificial flavorings are made from petroleum distillates, or chemicals, as opposed to natural flavorings, which are made from extracts, or other natural ingredients, which may (but most likely don't) contain wheat.

Perhaps you have other intolerances. There are a lot of food colorings (seven), plus dairy and soy ingredients listed in the M&M's. I hate to see products given the "bad" designation unless truly deserving.

best regards, lm

p.s., I'm eating some right now, so will report back later.

p.s.s., They are wildly cherry and huge!

silk Contributor
I'm not questioning that you got sick, but rather the source of your illness. I don't hesitate to eat anything containing natural or artificial flavorings. Haven't had any problems so far. I'm looking at a bag of Wildly Cherry M&M's, and they list artificial flavorings. I am under the impression that artificial flavorings are made from petroleum distillates, or chemicals, as opposed to natural flavorings, which are made from extracts, or other natural ingredients, which may (but most likely don't) contain wheat.

Perhaps you have other intolerances. There are a lot of food colorings (seven), plus dairy and soy ingredients listed in the M&M's. I hate to see products given the "bad" designation unless truly deserving.

best regards, lm

p.s., I'm eating some right now, so will report back later.

p.s.s., They are wildly cherry and huge!

Thanks for the information and most probably you are right. It may have been something else. I have been mostly dairy free for a while now but have done the odd bit of chocolate occasionally without a problem. And as I said, I can eat the plain M & M's without a problem so I'm not sure what it was that set me off but the reaction came within 1/2 hour after eating the Wild Cherry (geez they were good too!) M &M's and there was nothing different in my diet. I eat soy and have no problem with that so maybe it's the coloring????? Or maybe CC from something I had on my hands.???? Again, I don't know. My glutening symptoms usually occur within 1/2 hour of eating the offender, hence the confusion. :P

You're right though that I should not give something a bad wrap just because I got sick from it once if no one else has problems with it. I won't try again to see if it happens twice. GI issues for 4 days is not worth a handful of anything for a moment of pleasure.

Did you have a problem with them and did you like them? I have also done the Mint Crisp M & M's that came out for the new Indiana Jones movie. Yummo! And they didn't cause a problem. ???? Maybe it's just me!

Thanks again for the info.

larry mac Enthusiast

I didn't have a problem with them and yes they were good. They're something of a novelty though, a little strong tasting to be your everyday M&Ms. The peanut ones are my fav.

Speaking of candy. Couple weeks ago they had some limited edition Snickers at Walmart. I got one of each and now can't find them.

One had peanut butter in it. And the other was an "energy" Snickers, with caffein, ginsing, taurine, and B-vitamins. You know, your basic Red Bull in a Snickers. :rolleyes:

best regards, lm

silk Contributor
I didn't have a problem with them and yes they were good. They're something of a novelty though, a little strong tasting to be your everyday M&Ms. The peanut ones are my fav.

Speaking of candy. Couple weeks ago they had some limited edition Snickers at Walmart. I got one of each and now can't find them.

One had peanut butter in it. And the other was an "energy" Snickers, with caffein, ginsing, taurine, and B-vitamins. You know, your basic Red Bull in a Snickers. :rolleyes:

best regards, lm

Interesting! I guess that might support the thought that there was something else in this product that I reacted to...dye????maybe? Or that I got CC somewhere.

I had dark chocolate peanut easter M & M's last night and the regular milk chocolate ones and had no problem. Again ????? Totally confused. :huh:

If you are looking for the limited edition snickers product, you might try their website but I have often found that when the limited editions are pulled, they are gone for good. Case in point...I had an 'inside out' Reese's peanut butter cup (peanut outside, chocolate inside) that was to die for. It came out during Halloween a couple of years ago and is now nowhere to be found. I contacted the company and they basically stated what I said-Limited edition means just that. Limited. Major bummer and now I am learning that if I find something I really like that is a special deal, I buy a few extra and put them in the freezer and ration them out very carefully! :P

Sweetfudge Community Regular
an "energy" Snickers, with caffein, ginsing, taurine, and B-vitamins. You know, your basic Red Bull in a Snickers. :rolleyes:

Wow that sounds wild! I might have to go look for that one :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived