This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yeast Extract?

bytey

bytey Newbie

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help or advise? I am newly diagnosed and am in the process of preparing my kitchen and doing my red and green stickering :D I have a bag of "questionables" which I am working through (non-contaminated).

Can anyone tell me if yeast extract is ok for a Coeliac (with no other intolerances as far as they know..). The more I try to research the more confused I get about this but then I have digested a lot of info in the last 2 days...Phew! I understand yeast extract contains barley so that probably makes it a No but I am muddled as I then see Coeliac friendly recipes with yeast as an ingredient and references to eating Marmite.

Can anyone help? I am confused a bit by spice mixes etc containing yeast extract and the obvious ones like bovril and marmite. Am I confused as this is a Codex Alimentarius thing and I am in the UK...? Is it a GREEN or a RED...? :)

Thanks,

Bytey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help or advise? I am newly diagnosed and am in the process of preparing my kitchen and doing my red and green stickering :D I have a bag of "questionables" which I am working through (non-contaminated).

Can anyone tell me if yeast extract is ok for a Coeliac (with no other intolerances as far as they know..). The more I try to research the more confused I get about this but then I have digested a lot of info in the last 2 days...Phew! I understand yeast extract contains barley so that probably makes it a No but I am muddled as I then see Coeliac friendly recipes with yeast as an ingredient and references to eating Marmite.

Can anyone help? I am confused a bit by spice mixes etc containing yeast extract and the obvious ones like bovril and marmite. Am I confused as this is a Codex Alimentarius thing and I am in the UK...? Is it a GREEN or a RED...? :)

Thanks,

Bytey

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I can understand your confusion. MSG can hide in the listed form of yeast extract. In the US MSG is not gluten related. Not so good for you, but not gluten related. Some here do react to the MSG, but again, not gluten related.

I do know that some here react to the Codex Index for gluten free products.

I will defer my answer to those who live in the UK.

AND, were glad that you have joined us. This is a great place!

PS - great idea for the green and red stickers. I did that. It's great for a shared household. And serves as a warning to those who double dip into the peanut better jar.

bytey Newbie

Thank you Momma Goose! Let's see what the Brits lurking have to say :)

There will be no double dipping here! I have already educated my housemate on the importance of the multiple cutlery method..oh and all guests are being given squeezy bottles now I know what they are useful for... hee hee I have to laugh that I do sound like a mad person to the gluten eating contingent.

Not sure if anyone new is reading but I have just read "living gluten-free for dummies" by Sue Baic & Nigel Denby and I have found it really good. It takes you through everything in a very easy manner (and light hearted) and I got all my kitchen plans from it.

psawyer Proficient

Yeast extract, or autolyzed yeast, is made from pure yeast which has been partially broken down by salt and the enzymes in the yeast itself. The MSG in the resulting product is formed naturally in the breakdown and is not added from an external source. No grains are involved in the process--just yeast and salt.

This information can be found in Shelley Case's Gluten-Free Diet A Comprehensive Resource Guide, and is confirmed by other sources.

I don't believe there is any difference in the process between the two sides of "the pond." :)

bytey Newbie

Thanks Peter,

My brain feels a bit muddled at the moment so am I right in thinking then that I should be ok to consume products with yeast extract or do I still need to be careful here?

Thank you too for the book reference - I am going to look that one up.

psawyer Proficient

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. There is no gluten in yeast extract. You may choose to avoid it if you are concerned about MSG, but there are no celiac issues with it. Enjoy!

The book is aimed at the USA and Canada. Ms Case is a Canadian dietitian who is a professional affiliated with the Gluten Intolerance Group and Celiac Disease Foundation in the US, and with the Canadian Celiac Association in Canada. The specific companies and products it speaks of are all in the US or Canada, but the general information about the diet and the recipes are good anywhere.

Welcome aboard.

bytey Newbie
I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough. There is no gluten in yeast extract. You may choose to avoid it if you are concerned about MSG, but there are no celiac issues with it. Enjoy!

The book is aimed at the USA and Canada. Ms Case is a Canadian dietitian who is a professional affiliated with the Gluten Intolerance Group and Celiac Disease Foundation in the US, and with the Canadian Celiac Association in Canada. The specific companies and products it speaks of are all in the US or Canada, but the general information about the diet and the recipes are good anywhere.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks Peter, I am sure it is me! I seem to have a brain like a sieve at the moment which I am putting down to my de-glutening ;)

I spotted quite a few gluten nasties in my Schwartz spice mixes and now I am querying the ones that don't list ingredients that you would expect to be 'pure' 100% spice. I know Shwartz cinnamon is a lot sweeter than Asda brand which is marked 100% cinnamon so I am being cautious as I suspect additives. Anyway I have just emailed them to ask them if they can confirm which spices and spice mixes are gluten free. Hoping to get an answer as it will make my life easier.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived