Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kenlove

Japan Food Guide And Other Info

Hi, Finally compiled the pictures from the food show in Tokyo.

I added a section to my web site --See my profile for the link.

It shows many pictures and some translations of different foods that can be found in a health food and department stores. Also pictures of gluten-free foods from Venezuela and Thailand as well as a link for gluten-free pasta from Italy.

I'll continue to build the site with info I find in Tokyo as well as some

restaurant names when I have time.

ken

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Ken, thanks for the great photos! They are a good resource.

I noticed the cookies from Soken. They are the company that we ordered from and had shipped to "home" last fall.

The Tomizawa labels take me down memory lane. I used to buy cake baking supplies from them when I was living in Tokyo in my 20's.

And the rice flour labeled Rible is the one that my MIL purchased for use in preparing food for me. The millet soy sauce labels look familiar too. That may have been the one she had available for me.

Take Care.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

And do you have any recipes for Japanese meals? I used to eat at Japanese restaurants and really miss it.

The following cookbook was given to me from my students and is a good book of basics that are authentic.

http://www.Lame Advertisement/Japanese-Family-Styl...5142&sr=1-1

I also have this one and another in the series.

http://www.Lame Advertisement/Quick-Easy-Taste-Tof...5350&sr=1-1

I also use this site as a resource sometimes.

http://japanesefood.about.com/od/soup/a/aboutdashisoup.htm

There are quite a few sites like this on the internet too.

http://www.justhungry.com/

As with anything, we have to adapt them to gluten-free and do our homework on ingredients. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Hi,

Didn't find a terryaki sauce. I tend to make my own with the san-j soy sauce, sugar and some fresh citrus. Something which I cant remember but if you remind me when I get back in a few weeks I'll check my notes at home. I guess it depends on what you like to eat. I used to enjoy the grilled fish and thanks to some creative chefs can do so again.

Instead of soy sauce they have been grilling with with salt water -- WOW is it good.

Been eating a lot of seasonable veggies here, sauted in butter and there is also nabe, especially chanko nabe. Instead of the dashi or soup we used to make, we use salt and sake broth cooked down with bonito flakes and gobo root.

Just had it last night but getting hungry thinking about how good it was!

take care

Thanks for all the products and info.

Do you know of a good Terriaki sauce that is gluten-free/CF & nut free? And do you have any recipes for Japanese meals? I used to eat at Japanese restaurants and really miss it.

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

Thought you would like this stuff. I bought a ton to bring home and play with.

The kabocha flakes and purple sweet potato flakes look like they would make a great breading for something.

Have another 2 weeks to explore and see what else I can come up with here.

take care

Ken, thanks for the great photos! They are a good resource.

I noticed the cookies fro Soken. They are the company that we ordered from and had shipped to "home" last fall.

The Tomizawa labels take me down memory lane. I used to buy cake baking supplies from them when I was living in Tokyo in my 20's.

And the rice flour labeled Rible is the one that my MIL purchased for use in preparing food for me. The millet soy sauce labels look familiar too. That may have been the one she had available for me.

Take Care.

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter