Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kelly137

Wondering About Meds Being Affected

I was curious to see if anyone knew if your absorbtion of Meds are affected by celiacs. Or would anyone have alink to some useful info about this. I'm on the pill and don't always do really well with my gluten-free diet. Just curious if the pill would be affected.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was curious to see if anyone knew if your absorbtion of Meds are affected by celiacs. Or would anyone have alink to some useful info about this. I'm on the pill and don't always do really well with my gluten-free diet. Just curious if the pill would be affected.

You need to do better on your diet :) and be sure that when you are having D that you also use a barrier method to prevent an unwanted pregancy. Better to be safe than sorry as they say. If you are taking the pill for a medical reason other than contraception you should talk to your doctor about this issue.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

You need to do better on your diet :) and be sure that when you are having D that you also use a barrier method to prevent an unwanted pregancy. Better to be safe than sorry as they say. If you are taking the pill for a medical reason other than contraception you should talk to your doctor about this issue.

I'm aware of my diet and what I should and shouldn't be doing Thank you very much.... I wasn't looking for any judgement. Just curious about something was all. I hope the rest of the boards aren't like this.

Join eNewsletter

I'm aware of my diet and what I should and shouldn't be doing Thank you very much.... I wasn't looking for any judgement. Just curious about something was all. I hope the rest of the boards aren't like this.

Kelly, please look at your PMs (personal messages). I do think think that poster was trying to be helpful.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Hi!

Sorry you feel a bit judged, please don't give up on this forum because of it. I am also on the pill and asked my doctor about the exact same question. Apparently, if you are having diarrhea or vomiting it might affect how you absorb the pill. Mainly celiacs effects the way you absorb fats and a lot of vitamins are absorbed through fats and therefor absorption of those vitamins is affected .

Basically unless you have diarrhea or vomiting you should be fine. If you are still worried, ask your doctor about the contraceptive implant (think its called implanon) which is a small implant in your arm it last three years and works the same way as the pill except that t is absorbed directly into your blood stream and is therefor not affected by any stomach symptoms you might have.

Good luck, don't get disheartened :)

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Join eNewsletter

Wasn't judging, sorry you took it that way and were offended.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter