This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Aches...........again?

holdthegluten

holdthegluten Rising Star

I keep on getting these body aches (flu like) off and aroung my hips and lower body. It feels very similar to the flu, but i have no fever and im not exhausted. I get them like evey other week it seems. What would cause these aches to keep coming back (bacteria, viral?)I cant understand it. It is usually accompanied by some stomach discomfort.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

itchygirl Newbie

How are your Vit. D levels? When my D is really low I get the worst leg pains, cramping.... :( also, has your doc checked you for other causes of leg pain (blood flow issues, arthritis, autoimmune disease...)

MDRB Explorer

Hi!

I usually get aches and pains if I have accidentally ingested some gluten. Last time it happened I found out that a product I use regularly (that used to be gluten free) had changed to wheat derived glucose. Manufacturers can change the ingredients at any time. I had just assumed that it was still gluten free and didn't check.

I think your immunity could be low because of some hidden gluten. try checking your toothpaste, other personal care products and any processed foods you eat that might contain gluten. Check the ingredients lists regularly. Also try upping you vitamins with a good gluten free multivitamin.

Good Luck! :)

jitters Apprentice

I'm very interested in hearing everyone's ideas on this topic because the same thing is happening to me. It almost seems to go in a cycle and starts in my wrists, up my arms, shoulders, and down the trunk of my body. Major chills and painful aches and major fatigue. I've been to the doctor and she sent me to a rheumatologist who of course suggested it is depression and said I need antidepressents. Supposedly my vitamins levels are within normal limits. Whatever the problem is I'm pretty much left on my own to figure it out because I'm tired of the "here she comes again" looks. They must think I'm just nuts!

For now I'm thinking that maybe coffee has something to do with it? Do you drink coffee? I know when I give it up it seems to let up. I agree vitamins may help as well, but it takes some time I think for them to really start working.

tom Contributor

Having been a victim of intermittent symptoms for years AFTER being gluten-free, I have to wonder whether both of you also have other food intolerances, which may turn out to be temporary.

A straightforward way to find out is to keep a food/symptom diary.

Sure makes it easy when faced w/ a "dammit I felt crappy in this same way ~2 1/2 wks ago, too!" situation, and being able to look up what foods may be in common in the days prior. (Some ppl find they have 2 or 3 day delays, tho most reactions are 1 day)

An effective food/symptom diary is made easier w/ simpler foods, as opposed to processed foods w/ 20+ ingred.

But regardless of that, it can be invaluable in figuring out what not to eat.

This scenario of additional intolerances seems very common on this forum.

Best of luck to you both :)

Janeti Apprentice

I completely agree with Tom. For me it seems when my body reacts to a food that I have become intolerant to, it effects the weakest of my joints. These are the joints that have deteriorated from years of being calcium and vit D deficient. I finally went to see a ND, and he has been helping me find out what these foods are, and he has put me on vitamins and probiotics. It has made such a big difference.

Archived