Jump to content



Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):



Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):


  • You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

    💬

    • Sign In
    • Sign Up

Confused About Genetic Testing


Recommended Posts

I am a bit confused about genetic testing. I have one child (almost 3 yrs old) that I suspect has Celiac; she has been gluten-free for 9 months-- she is better gluten-free but has other issues (she is not completely better-- she is having more testing done soon). In the meantime I had my other kids tested and they both had positive IgG but negative IgA. I put them all on the gluten-free diet for these 9 months. I expected my eldest child (7 yrs) to have a big growth spurt gluten-free-- because he is small for his age. But he has grown very little these past months. He never had symptoms and neither has my 4 yr old (who is of normal height and weight). I am feeling very guilty about keeping the older two gluten-free when I feel they probably do not have celiac. I am not one who thinks everybody in the world should be gluten-free. I keep wondering if genetic testing would help me figure out who to keep gluten-free. I will probably keep a gluten-free house while my 3 yr old is small but wouldn't be strict with my other kids when they went to friends houses or other places.

I read Danna Korn's book (sorry if I am misspelling her name)about Celiac kids and it sounded to me like genetic testing might be useful.. she said if you have one of the two genes there is only a 30% chance you WON'T develop Celiac... that means if you DO have one of the two genes, you have a 70% chance of having Celiac.. right? Or is not that simple? I know Enterolab tests for other genes-- is it possible to have Celiac and have one of these other genes? Somebody please explain this to me?

I am feeling somewhat desperate right now. This is all very difficult to sort out. I also have a 4 month old baby that will stay gluten free while she is a toddler (maybe longer)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):


The numbers I remember are that 30 percent of the population has one or more of the genes. Only 1 percent (or less) of the population develops celiac disease. And to confuse things even more, a tiny percentage of people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance don't have the genes.

richard

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):





    Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-m):




×
×
  • Create New...