Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnsoda2

Substitute For Eggs

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have gluten, dairy and egg sensitivity, when substituting eggs what is your best recomendation for breads etc.

Hi Johnsoda2

Supposedly ground flaxseed is a substitue for eggs. Add 3 TBsp ground flaxseed to 1/2 cup plus 1 TBsp boiling water, let sit for 15 mins, then whisk with fork.. It is supposedly equalivant to 3 eggs. So if you need just one egg, I guess you could 1/3 it.

Good luck

:)

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

Join eNewsletter

I've used flaxseeds as an egg replacer successfully in baking baked goods (I haven't tried it with yeast breads though). For one large egg, take 1 tbsp of flaxseeds and 1/2 c water, blend until the consistency of a beaten egg.

Ener-G Foods also has an Egg Replacer, I have also used that successfully with baked goods.

This link has some other suggestions as well:

http://www.geocities.com/gfcfphotos/eggreplacers.html

Join eNewsletter

I use the flax with my homemade breads and it tastes great!

Whole family is allergic to Gluten, eggs, dairy, most are allergic to garlic. Few other various allergies.

Did you know it's best to wait until 21 months to give a baby wheat??

Join eNewsletter

What if you can't eat flax seed? I don't seem to do well with that.

Ener-G foods has an egg replacer product, you can find it in most health food stores and sometimes grocery stores that have a special food section (organic packaged products, natural packaged items, diet or allergy items).

It comes in a box and these are the ingredients:

Potato Starch, tapioca starch flour, leavening (calcium lactate [not derived from dairy], calcium carbonate, citric acid), sodium carboxymethylcellulose, methylcellulose

This link has some other options:

http://www.geocities.com/gfcfphotos/eggreplacers.html

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter