This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Australian Gluten Free Restaurants

MDRB

MDRB Explorer

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the gluten free game. I have the diet sorted but am still looking for safe places to eat out. Would appreciate any suggestions on gluten free or gluten free friendly restaurants anywhere in Australia. Also would welcome any product suggestions.

Thanks for any help :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amber Explorer
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the gluten free game. I have the diet sorted but am still looking for safe places to eat out. Would appreciate any suggestions on gluten free or gluten free friendly restaurants anywhere in Australia. Also would welcome any product suggestions.

Hi and Welcome :)

Firstly, which state do you live in? There are many, many restaurants in Australia that cater for those on a gluten free diet. Some have gluten free marked on the menus and some just have a good understanding of what gluten free is.

If you join the coeliac society in your state which you should definately do they will provide you with a dining guide with a list of restaurants that cater for gluten free.

Some of the dining guides are online. Here is the link for the Victorian one:

Open Original Shared Link

MDRB Explorer
Hi and Welcome :)

Firstly, which state do you live in? There are many, many restaurants in Australia that cater for those on a gluten free diet. Some have gluten free marked on the menus and some just have a good understanding of what gluten free is.

If you join the coeliac society in your state which you should definately do they will provide you with a dining guide with a list of restaurants that cater for gluten free.

Some of the dining guides are online. Here is the link for the Victorian one:

Hi,

thanks for replying! I live in melbourne and so far have found two gluten free resturants. Do you think that a resturant that offers gluten free pizzas alongside thier regular menu should be ok? I'm a little worried about them being cooked in the same oven and being prepared in the same area.

Thanks for the advice about the celiacs society, I've been wondering about joining.

amber Explorer
Hi,

thanks for replying! I live in melbourne and so far have found two gluten free resturants. Do you think that a resturant that offers gluten free pizzas alongside thier regular menu should be ok? I'm a little worried about them being cooked in the same oven and being prepared in the same area.

Thanks for the advice about the celiacs society, I've been wondering about joining.

Which pizza restaurant are you talking about specifically? Pizza Piazza in Chapel Street is absolutely fine as the owner is a coeliac and they have been doing gluten free meals for years. Yesterday I went with my daughter who is a coeliac to Crust Pizza in Port Melbourne (they have other outlets) and they do gluten free pizzas there also. I didn't watch what they were doing but I am sure they would put the pizza on a seperate tray and the bases would be wrapped so they do not come into contact with flour etc. If they are cooked in the same oven then they should be on their own tray and alot of these places buy in their gluten free pizza bases from elsewhere so they are not made on the premises.

I definately recommend you join the coeliac society. You get a whole lot of information such as recipe books, ingredients lists books, dining guides, take away food recommendations, samples of food and every three months you get a magazine and newsletter which is packed full of interesting information. Also if you are travelling overseas they will provide you with information and translation cards. They also conduct label reading classes for newly diagnosed coeliacs. Also you can call them whenever you want and get advice and information. They are located in Mt. Waverley and you can drop in and join or ring them up and join over the phone.

MDRB Explorer
Which pizza restaurant are you talking about specifically? Pizza Piazza in Chapel Street is absolutely fine as the owner is a coeliac and they have been doing gluten free meals for years. Yesterday I went with my daughter who is a coeliac to Crust Pizza in Port Melbourne (they have other outlets) and they do gluten free pizzas there also. I didn't watch what they were doing but I am sure they would put the pizza on a seperate tray and the bases would be wrapped so they do not come into contact with flour etc. If they are cooked in the same oven then they should be on their own tray and alot of these places buy in their gluten free pizza bases from elsewhere so they are not made on the premises.

I definately recommend you join the coeliac society. You get a whole lot of information such as recipe books, ingredients lists books, dining guides, take away food recommendations, samples of food and every three months you get a magazine and newsletter which is packed full of interesting information. Also if you are travelling overseas they will provide you with information and translation cards. They also conduct label reading classes for newly diagnosed coeliacs. Also you can call them whenever you want and get advice and information. They are located in Mt. Waverley and you can drop in and join or ring them up and join over the phone.

I went to 'crown pizza and ribs' in reservoir, I guess I should have just asked but I'm still getting used to being a pain in the ass.

I've also been to 'silly waks' in northcote which is entierly gluten free and really really good.

I tried a wagamamas restrant lastnight and although none of thier meals were gluten free, they were happy to cook something up for me and there staff were quite knowledgable (ie: no blank stares followed by a cock of the head and the innevitable question 'what's gluten?')

Thanks for the suggestions!

amber Explorer
I went to 'crown pizza and ribs' in reservoir, I guess I should have just asked but I'm still getting used to being a pain in the ass.

I've also been to 'silly waks' in northcote which is entierly gluten free and really really good.

I tried a wagamamas restrant lastnight and although none of thier meals were gluten free, they were happy to cook something up for me and there staff were quite knowledgable (ie: no blank stares followed by a cock of the head and the innevitable question 'what's gluten?')

Thanks for the suggestions!

Crown Pizza and Ribs is definately fine as they advertise in the Coeliac Society newsletter all the time. They are also on the dining list which I gave you a link to above.

If you are in the city and needing a quick, tasty but definately not at all healthy snack then try 'lord of the fries' which is at Flinders Street station and on the corner or Elizabeth and Flinders street. They do great fries with all sorts of sauces. The belgian mayonaisse is really good but best of all they do gluten free hamburgers there. They get the buns from Silly Yaks. I know it is not exactly the healthy meal but sometimes you need a snack on the run.

Highly recommend Pizza Piazza in Chapel street as I mentioned before as they have an extensive gluten free pizza and pasta menu and a large gluten free dessert menu with all sorts of delicious cakes. My daughter usually has the g.f. garlic bread followed by the pesto gnocci then the warm chocolate cake.

You will have your gluten free radar on and will spot 'gluten free' on a menu from a mile away.

MDRB Explorer
Crown Pizza and Ribs is definately fine as they advertise in the Coeliac Society newsletter all the time. They are also on the dining list which I gave you a link to above.

If you are in the city and needing a quick, tasty but definately not at all healthy snack then try 'lord of the fries' which is at Flinders Street station and on the corner or Elizabeth and Flinders street. They do great fries with all sorts of sauces. The belgian mayonaisse is really good but best of all they do gluten free hamburgers there. They get the buns from Silly Yaks. I know it is not exactly the healthy meal but sometimes you need a snack on the run.

Highly recommend Pizza Piazza in Chapel street as I mentioned before as they have an extensive gluten free pizza and pasta menu and a large gluten free dessert menu with all sorts of delicious cakes. My daughter usually has the g.f. garlic bread followed by the pesto gnocci then the warm chocolate cake.

You will have your gluten free radar on and will spot 'gluten free' on a menu from a mile away.

Thanks for all the advice!

Its great to hear from an aussie as most of the product and places on this forum are american.

I am going to the doctor again soon and will get her to write the letter I need to join the celiac society (any idea what is needed for that?)

Will definitely try that place on flinders street as I am often in the city looking for something fatty to eat :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nutralady2001 Newbie

Welcome to the club !

Go here

and here you will find the information

Application form here for Victoria

My GP just wrote a letter saying I had been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease (biopsy and blood test) and needed to be on a gluten-free diet I'm in SA and just printed off the form relevant to SA to fill out and for her to sign

amber Explorer
Thanks for all the advice!

Its great to hear from an aussie as most of the product and places on this forum are american.

I am going to the doctor again soon and will get her to write the letter I need to join the celiac society (any idea what is needed for that?)

Will definitely try that place on flinders street as I am often in the city looking for something fatty to eat :)

The letter is basically to confirm that you are a coeliac. Otherwise people would be wanting to join who aren't really coeliacs and who haven't seeked appropriate medical advice. It's more of a legal thing really.

MDRB Explorer

I tried lord of the fries the other day and OMG is it good!!! I see what you mean about it being unhealthy.

Also is great as I am a vegetarian as well as celiac and often find it very hard to eat out (usual response to celiacs seems to be to offer me a giant steak :( )

Any idea about other restaurants in the (inner) city?

I am currently very diassapointed with wagamamas where they gave me a very bland, boring gluten-free meal because they stopped offering gluten-free soy sauce. Grrrrrrr

amber Explorer
I tried lord of the fries the other day and OMG is it good!!! I see what you mean about it being unhealthy.

Also is great as I am a vegetarian as well as celiac and often find it very hard to eat out (usual response to celiacs seems to be to offer me a giant steak :( )

Any idea about other restaurants in the (inner) city?

I am currently very diassapointed with wagamamas where they gave me a very bland, boring gluten-free meal because they stopped offering gluten-free soy sauce. Grrrrrrr

Did you try the gluten free mini burger? My 11 year old daugther loved it. That is annoying about Wagamamas. How hard is it to have a bottle of gluten free sauce on hand. If you are going Asian you could bring along your own gluten free soy sauce (Fountain brand and Changs also I think).

Did you look on the dining guide on the Coelaic Society of Victoria's website. If you go to the Melbourne section it will come up with a list of places in the city. I think there are a couple of vegie options. I think in one of the laneways (Degraves Street or one of the ones that continue from there) there is a take away health food type place that does some gluten free and vegie items. Food Cube in Bourke Street (near Elizabeth) does gluten free basic stuff and I think there is another vegetarian place in the city.

If you craving a hot chocolate I think most of the hot chocs at Max Brenner are fine.

Suga lollies are mostly fine too - read the labels on jars and packets. I am just remembering what we had in the city the other day.

MDRB Explorer
Did you try the gluten free mini burger? My 11 year old daugther loved it. That is annoying about Wagamamas. How hard is it to have a bottle of gluten free sauce on hand. If you are going Asian you could bring along your own gluten free soy sauce (Fountain brand and Changs also I think).

Did you look on the dining guide on the Coelaic Society of Victoria's website. If you go to the Melbourne section it will come up with a list of places in the city. I think there are a couple of vegie options. I think in one of the laneways (Degraves Street or one of the ones that continue from there) there is a take away health food type place that does some gluten free and vegie items. Food Cube in Bourke Street (near Elizabeth) does gluten free basic stuff and I think there is another vegetarian place in the city.

If you craving a hot chocolate I think most of the hot chocs at Max Brenner are fine.

Suga lollies are mostly fine too - read the labels on jars and packets. I am just remembering what we had in the city the other day.

Yep, I had the mini burger and loved it! Even my fiance liked the food and he is neither celiac or vegetarian.

I use 'tamari sauce' which is great, but a little expensive.

Thanks for the suggestions on gluten free food in the city. I've been meaning to try that 'food cube' place.

mtkd Newbie
Hi all,

hi, different topic, but great to ee some local people on here. do any of you aussies/nzers eat oats? if so, do you buy pure oats and where do you get them?

• 3 weeks later...
nutralady2001 Newbie

No and I so miss my oats :(

One problem is CC and 1 in 5 will react to oats protein as well. I see the gluten-free oats ad on here all the time and so wish we had the same

I bought the Lowan Rice Porridge with fruit.......blech !!! If anyone has any ideas about livening it up please let me know.......honey? Any fruit but banana?(which I loathe)

MDRB Explorer
No and I so miss my oats :(

One problem is CC and 1 in 5 will react to oats protein as well. I see the gluten-free oats ad on here all the time and so wish we had the same

I bought the Lowan Rice Porridge with fruit.......blech !!! If anyone has any ideas about livening it up please let me know.......honey? Any fruit but banana?(which I loathe)

I sometimes add honey and flax seed oil. I've also added diced apple before I microwave it, the apple bits get all soft and yummy :)

I guess you could add just about anything though.

I also like basco honey rings, or I make eggs.

I found breakfast one of the most challening meals to replace as I used to love vegimite on toast. gluten-free vege spread on gluten-free toast is just not the same. lol

nutralady2001 Newbie
I found breakfast one of the most challening meals to replace as I used to love vegimite on toast. gluten-free vege spread on gluten-free toast is just not the same. lol

I know what you mean ! :lol: I buy the Moore's wholemeal bread now my local Woollies has it. Toasted it really isn't too bad

Have never been a real cereal type except for oats. I'll probably buy a packet this week as am off on Thursday to Mt Gambier for a 4-day conference . Most of the meals are included and I'll probably have it for breakfast. I do use toaster bags for bread but often these places have those toasters that turn around taking your toast with it and shooting it out at the end and I can just see my toaster bags getting stuck or the bread coming out of them on the way around :lol:

Quite a few people have said the Basco honey rings are good maybe I'll give them a go.

MDRB Explorer

WARNING!!!!

I thought I would share my latest gluten free disappointment with you guys :(

I regularly eat the gluten free pizza's at casa bella restaurant in northland, they taste just the same as the regular pizza.

However, I ordered a take away pizza yesterday for lunch and was at first told that they do not do gluten free pizza, after arguing with the moron on the phone for much too long, he checked with the chef and it was confirmed that yes they do make gluten-free pizza but he was not aware of this because it is not on their menu. Ok, so I ordered my pizza, 20 minutes later I was enjoying my pizza. 2 hours after that I was practically comatose. Yep, they had given me a regular pizza base! :angry:

Remember when ordering pizza was easy?

nutralady2001 Newbie
WARNING!!!!

I thought I would share my latest gluten free disappointment with you guys :(

I regularly eat the gluten free pizza's at casa bella restaurant in northland, they taste just the same as the regular pizza.

However, I ordered a take away pizza yesterday for lunch and was at first told that they do not do gluten free pizza, after arguing with the moron on the phone for much too long, he checked with the chef and it was confirmed that yes they do make gluten-free pizza but he was not aware of this because it is not on their menu. Ok, so I ordered my pizza, 20 minutes later I was enjoying my pizza. 2 hours after that I was practically comatose. Yep, they had given me a regular pizza base! :angry:

Remember when ordering pizza was easy?

Oh no !!! Did you let them know? :angry:

MDRB Explorer
Oh no !!! Did you let them know? :angry:

No, I really should have. They usually get it right when we eat in and deal directly with the chef or manager. They are pretty new to offering gluten-free food and I think that most of their staff don't even know what gluten is. LOL I might just stick to 'crown pizza and rib' in reservoir which is still pretty close to where we are. They are a little more experienced and I have never had a problem there.

• 2 weeks later...
georgie Enthusiast

This happened to me at an Italian eating place. The waiter was new and had to ask if they did gluten-free pasta - and then they said they did so I ordered it. 2 hours later I nearly fell asleep at the wheel and drove the car off the road. I am not sure if the waiter forgot to write gluten-free on my order ,as we had got chatting inbetween him writing it all down, or if the chef cooked it in the same water as the normal pasta - or what. I have had risotto there previously and was fine so am inclined to think the waiter may have forgotten to write it down. Since then I am very careful where I eat out but even was glutened 2 weeks ago with a soy milk latte - forgot to check if the soy milk was gluten-free and it wasn't ....after I had 2 sips :(

MDRB Explorer
This happened to me at an Italian eating place. The waiter was new and had to ask if they did gluten-free pasta - and then they said they did so I ordered it. 2 hours later I nearly fell asleep at the wheel and drove the car off the road. I am not sure if the waiter forgot to write gluten-free on my order ,as we had got chatting inbetween him writing it all down, or if the chef cooked it in the same water as the normal pasta - or what. I have had risotto there previously and was fine so am inclined to think the waiter may have forgotten to write it down. Since then I am very careful where I eat out but even was glutened 2 weeks ago with a soy milk latte - forgot to check if the soy milk was gluten-free and it wasn't ....after I had 2 sips :(

The soy milk thing frustrates me to no end - Lactose intolerance is really common amongst celiac patients yet almost all soy milks have gluten! And for no apparent reason. One of the most frustrating thing in all of this is when gluten shows up in something that has no need for it, such as soy milk, pasta sauce and sweets! It would be so easy to make all these gluten free by using corn starch or something instead, I guess gluten thickeners etc must be cheaper.

GRrrrrrrr

Sorry about the rant

georgie Enthusiast

I know - it makes me mad too. And the dairy milk that has wheat additives to make it froth better... And what happens if you have a dairy latte after a soy milk has been frothed. Is there a cc issue if they don't clean the steam jet ? And then there are all the places selling 'gluten light' cakes in their display cabinets .... They must buy them commercially and frozen ,and UNWRAP them for display to make them look pretty .... :angry:

MDRB Explorer
I know - it makes me mad too. And the dairy milk that has wheat additives to make it froth better... And what happens if you have a dairy latte after a soy milk has been frothed. Is there a cc issue if they don't clean the steam jet ? And then there are all the places selling 'gluten light' cakes in their display cabinets .... They must buy them commercially and frozen ,and UNWRAP them for display to make them look pretty .... :angry:

'Gluten lite' really? What is the point in having something that is gluten lite? I guess not everyone is as sensitive but something gluten lite rather than gluten free would definitely make me sick!

Archived