This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Chex Is Now Gluten Free!

cruelshoes

Mom23boys Contributor

My store doesn't have them yet!!! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LLatham Apprentice
:P REAL homemade Rice Chex Mix w/ gluten-free pretzels at Christmas - I'm so happy I could cry!!!!

Oooh do you have a recipe you can share?

Juliebove Rising Star
If you are so inclined, please send a note to General Mills telling them you are appreciative of them taking this step. The more they hear from our community the more likely they are to make other products gluten-free.

Open Original Shared Link

I just wrote to them. My daughter was so excited when she saw the "Gluten Free" on the package that she jumped up and down.

mmaccartney Explorer
OMG - OMG - OMG! If I have to eat another bowl of Cocoa Pebbles, I think I will die! Because of my nut allergy, it is hard to find cereals that don't cost $6.00 a box without traces of nuts. I need to get rid of the sugar, but I NEED cereal in a big way.

You have made my month!!!!!

Look for EREWOHN cereals. They make a great "rice Krispies" alternative that is gluten-free and Nut free, and they just brought out a gluten-free, nut free corn flake cereal!!

I order them from Amazon...

BCLinME Newbie

Be careful about this, I got the gluten free version at Walmart but Hannaford still had the Rice Chex with gluten. While they are at it, why can't they take the malt out of half the rice and corn cereals out there? I took the box home around lunch time and had some with stawberries and milk, yum! This is a product I would never have tried before Celiac but now it tastes like heaven!!!!!!!!!

Levi Rookie
:lol::lol: me too!!

I wasn't aware that any of the mainline cereals were gluten-free!!!

I would love to have a bowl of coco pebbles, lot better than

the Nutty Flax though I am getting used to them.

Any other cereals that are gluten-free?

btw, the gluten-free oatmeal has a horrible aftertaste and it takes

at least 20 - 30 min to cook.

Juliebove Rising Star
I wasn't aware that any of the mainline cereals were gluten-free!!!

I would love to have a bowl of coco pebbles, lot better than

the Nutty Flax though I am getting used to them.

Any other cereals that are gluten-free?

btw, the gluten-free oatmeal has a horrible aftertaste and it takes

at least 20 - 30 min to cook.

Trix are gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

cruelshoes -- Thank you so much for posting this.

Went grocery shopping tonight and started eye balling all of the cereal boxes trying to find the Rice Chex.....and "there it was" quickly grabbed it off the shelf with a big smile on my face seeing the GLUTEN FREE writing on the box. My husband who can eat gluten was all excited too -- got 2 boxes :D (found it at WalMart).

VvShannonvV Newbie

The Rice Chex is very tasty even more so with Almond Breeze....I love Almond Breeze. It is nice to have a normal cereal to eat that doesn't taste like crap and cost $6. Maybe more companies will start to do this.

Shannon

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
The Rice Chex is very tasty even more so with Almond Breeze....I love Almond Breeze. It is nice to have a normal cereal to eat that doesn't taste like crap and cost $6. Maybe more companies will start to do this.

Shannon

I hope more companies do this as well.

sixtytwo Apprentice

Just another addition to say I bought two BIG boxes of Rice Chex today.......what a treat to pay $2.88 for each one at WalMart----they don't have them at my local store----, the Rice Twice that I was buying was anywhere from $4.50 to $5.50 for a much smaller box. I did like Rick Twice, though, but oh so expensive and eventually it would have gotten boring. I do like Cream of Buckwheat, it is gluten-free, but real expensive at the health food store too. I can't wait until breakfast tomorrow morning for my Rice Chex.

I did write to General Mills, too, to thank them and got a speedy reply saying they are working on more things that are gluten-free. We just need to keep tuned in. Barbara

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I SAW A BOX TODAY! It was $4 something in my regular store...I'm going to check out Wally World tomorrow and see if they have Rice Chex (mine isn't a superW, so don't know if they carry everything...they have a few groceries...but not all of them). :D

I'm so excited that I dont have to pay $6 a box for cereal anymore! :D

I'm curious why they don't make their corn ones gluten free too....it just seems to make sense to me.

lonewolf Collaborator

They don't have the gluten-free ones in my normal store yet. But the "old" ones are $4.39 for a 12.8 oz box. Yikes! The Health Valley version comes on sale regularly for $2.50 for a 17 oz box. The regular price is $3.39 or something. I think I'll stick with those for now.

Ivanna44 Apprentice
Here's the scoop. General Mills has reformulated Rice Chex. A phone call to General Mills confirms that it is true. The new formulation does not contain barley malt. The new boxes are rolling out to stores now, but you may not see them for a few months. The new boxes say gluten free on them. Read the box carefully because we will be seeing both for a while.

Here is a link: Open Original Shared Link

I saw this on another celiac board and am just sharing the good news. It's always great to have another mainstream cereal available.

Thank you cruelshoes,

For the investigative works. It will most likely be a while till they arrive in Canadian stores. Maybe a year for us. I'll hope for sooner. Just wish they'd reforumalate the Kelloggs Rice Crsipies now, and remove the "barley malt" so we can have regular rice cripsies squares again. I miss those. I tried making some out the 4$ a small box, gluten-free ones, but it was not quite the same.

Glad that they will label them as "gluten free' too. If they label them, as the gluten-free , then they must have to undergo regular testings to check the parts per million , and review regularly for cc's.

I can't say as I'm sick of the Coco Peddles, or Fruity Pebbles cereal. I have as not yet! seen those here anywhere in grocery stores. We up in the North here, seem to just get that pricey organic gluten-free cerals.

So it would be wonderful if there was a more reasonable priced (for the box) cereal like the Rice Chex. To offer us some more variety,

Ty for the tips.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Just got my box at a small local Acme

$4.00 a box. Will have to watch for c/o's now as wasn't using them. :lol:

There are boxes with checks on the gluten free.........not a big green 'G' so maybe i miss read a email but it sure was labeled gluten-free.

will have to ck the size as you guys said 12.8 size box i think

thanks all.

Judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Just had my cereal.........it was so good and crunchy...........loved it. I like to mix serveral kinds together like the other rice one i get.

also anyone know about the tropical rice mix on the box. Since i can't have peanuts or nuts, what is the mixed bag of dried fruits on the recipe? Is it a GM product?

Judy

Man Judy I never knew how expensive Acme was....I bought our box for 2 something at Wegmans.

trcn Apprentice
Man Judy I never knew how expensive Acme was....I bought our box for 2 something at Wegmans.

Been reading this thread, laughing... and crying!

When is rice chex coming to me? I check my store every time I go and they are all still the old ingredients. I'm going to the manager on my next trip. They prob have boxes in the back!!

Tracy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Tracey

maybe call the consumer # and see if they can tell you were you might get it.

They told me a store by me that probably woud have it and they did

also I just got the email survey and completed it.

I spent a lot of time trying to include things we'd want covered and answered as celiac's

when you call ask if you can be put on the consumer contact list.

they seem to really care.

i mentioned this active thread and site to them too

good luck

Judy

jerseyangel Proficient

I agree--Wegman's is much more reasonable than Acme.

also I just got the email survey and completed it.

I spent a lot of time trying to include things we'd want covered and answered as celiac's

when you call ask if you can be put on the consumer contact list.

they seem to really care.

i mentioned this active thread and site to them too

good luck

Judy

I got mine this morning, too, but haven't looked at it yet.

I agree--Wegman's is much more reasonable than Acme.

Everyone thinks Wegmans is real expensive too, I buy a lot of things there cheapier than at Giant. Especially if it is a generic brand.

jerseyangel Proficient
Everyone thinks Wegmans is real expensive too

I know--that's true. A lot of people are under that impression--of course before ever going there. I think because it's such a huge store.

• 6 months later...
Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Did GM change the packaging that was stated gluten free with boxes checked on the front?

Jim came home today with 2 boxes and they are not the same

says whole grain.........

on the side of the box it says gluten free so he got 2 but could this be a OLD BOX.

The ingred look ok.

must re check and read the box again

anyone know if the marketing changed them again?

Open Original Shared Link

just went back and this is the box I used to get

ck'd a google article as i couldn't find a picture of the new box, It said molassas was added instead of barley so guess they did change the packaging.

not going to eat until i know for sure.

Judy

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Shoot---

Wanted to delete the post but not fast enough.

The box has changed I guess.

It says........gluten free on the side............just as my hubby said.

Sorry guys!

Archived