Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fortuna

Dapsone And Pregnancy!

Hi,

I have DERMATİTİS hERPETİFORMİS and I have been taking Dapsone for 8 years. I'm a pregnant 6 weeks now. My dermatolog proposed stop to take dapson but she was not sure. She said you should don take it during first 4 months.

I have stopped it for 6 days but my everywhere covered lesions. I have itching so much. I can't sleep, go to work...I am very very sad.

I consulted another doctors. Most of them say you can take, some of them say you should not take it.

What can I do? Please say something. Maybe you took dapson while you are pregnant. Everything is good for your babies. Please help me!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am sorry to tell you that Dapasone is a class C drug.

Pregnancy Category C Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans.

It is also an L4 class (bad) for breastfeeding.

As long as you are pregnant or nursing you should not take the drug. Early pregnancy is the most fragile as the organs are forming. Most doctors only recommend class A and B drugs.

Are you getting accidentally glutened? Do you have a lot of iodine in your diet? Some people have their rash worsened by foods that contain iodine like iodized salt or seafood. NSAID drugs like Advil can make it worse in some people too.

I am sorry you have to go through this. I know how intense the itching can be. I really hope you figure this out!

Good luck.

DH positive skin biopsy June 2007

Blood test positive July 2007

Gluten Free- since 6-23-07

Vegetarian since 1991

Stay-at-home Mommy to:

Kellen 2-05

Cameron 10-06

Scarlett 5-09

Join eNewsletter

OMG, NO!!! You should not be taking this, esp during the most important trimester in your babies development. All you have to do is google Dapsone and you'll see that the research either contraindicates the Dapsone during preg/lact or says they are not sure it is safe. I know the DH is painful but you have to suck it up for your baby. My sister is experiencing the exact same issue right now and has decided against potentially harming her baby and will suffer through the flare ups. I would not go back to a doc that told you to take that stuff through the first 4 months of your pregnancy.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter