Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panopticism

Question About Diagnosis...

I have been gluten-free for almost 8 months now... I feel almost completely better. I never got the tests, because I had already gone gluten-free before going to the doctor, and didn't want to stop. I started feeling better. Now I'm almost feeling 100%.

Still I can't help but wonder... I'd love a positive scientific test. Is it scientifically possible to diagnose me in any way if I've completely eliminated gluten?

I'd be willing to pay cash, if necessary.

Maybe I'll just continue to wait it out and see what happens.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

I think entrolab does a test while you are still gluten-free. Others will be able to tell you more. Most dr's don't accept these tests.

You other option is doing the gluten challenge. But you have to weigh whether all that is worth it if you're feeling better.

Join eNewsletter

Most doctors say that an endoscopy is the only way to positively diagnose celiacs.

I was gluten free for about six months before I went to see a gastroenterologist. The Doctor told me that I would have to eat at least one meal a day that was gluten based, for four to five weeks before the endoscopy. Well, I followed this diet and was an absolute mess, it made me so sick that I barely got out of bed for the whole month and then it took me another month to start to feel better again.

It was reassuring to get rid of that doubt, but if I had known that it was going to make me that sick, there is no way I would have gone ahead with the gluten filled diet. I lost two months of my life to be told something I already knew!

If a gluten free diet is making you feel fit and strong, I say why look back! Wheat, barley, rye and oats are not nutritionally valuable foods, so you are not missing out on anything it that department.

I guess it all depends on how sure you are that the gluten free diet is helping.

Good luck making a decision that's right for you.

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter