Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedora

Quest Forgot To Run Celiac Panel On Dd's Blood

Last wednesday, my daughter had blood drawn. They said the results would be in Friday or Monday. I waited very patiently. Today I called the clinic. The Dr. called me back and said everything came back normal. I was like oh. He said the large food allergy panel came back negative. It was the RAST test. Which is great. I asked about the thyroid, kidney, liver, and iron tests. All fine. That is great too. She is almost a complete vegetarian eating no red meat, so good iron levels are fabulous.

Then I asked about the celiac panel. Thank God I did. I asked if any of the tests were above normal. They did the anti-gliadin IgG,anti-gliadin IgA,transglutaminase IgA, and total IgA. The Dr. said there was no results, but he saw they were ordered. I said those are what I wanted to know about the most. Figures they would be the ones not run. He said, of course those are if your worried about gluten intolerance.

I waited patiently till this afternoon. I called back. The lab tech told me that she had called Quest before lunch. They had not run it. They admitted it was their fault. They luckily had the blood still. They were going to run it. If the clinic did not here back from Quest, then they were able to test it. So far she had not heard from them. This was 4 hours later. Hopefully they were able to run the tests, I do not see why not. The lab tech said the results may be in tomorrow or the next day. I am trying to wait patiently again.

The great news is her other blood work was perfect, so I don't have to worry about something like her thyroid. She is very little.

Is there any reason that week old blood would change the results? I don't think so, but just wondering to be on the safe side.

trying to be patient

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No, I have not heard. That was Tuesday. The lab tech at the clinic said they would get the results on wednesday or thursday. I left a message yesterday afternoon. Then I called this morning because no one had called me yet. No news. The lady at the desk was not interested in what I had to say. She said it usually takes a week. Which was fine the first week, but now it is week two. I am praying the results come back today. The Quest website says they usually get results back to the clinics in 24 hours. However, on this celiac panel, they do further testing if some of the markers are raised or the total IgA is low. So that could hold it up longer.

I am fortunate they ran the tests. I went in ready to fight to get these tests done. she has no GI symptoms, so I didn't think they would take me seriously. But the PA I saw got out of school 2 years ago and had much more up to date info on celiac than my dr and pa(both out of school for 30 years).

I will post as soon as I know.

pork and beef free- 1994

Join eNewsletter

After 2 weeks we finally got the blood test back on my daughter. I had printed out the sheet from Quest's website with the info on the celiac panel when we had first gone in. She said that was the test they always ordered. Great. So we went in this week. The test was negative. When I looked at it, they had only run the anti-tTg IgA test. They did not even run the anti-glidian IgA or anti-glidian IgG. Quest only runs the anti-EMA if the anti-tTg test is positive. They did test her total IGA levels which were fine. I just said thank you and left. My daughter does not have digestive symptoms and the PA just said she doesn't have it. Which would be great if she doesn't. I called Quest direct. Turns out they have 3 different celiac panels. They ran the one ordered which is not as complete. My daughter says she does not want to go gluten free if she does not have to. Her symptoms are delayed growth this year(she was petite to begin with), mouth sores, mood problems(not normal). The other clinic in town still thinks you have to have chronic diahrea to be celiac. I ordered the enterolab test for her. If she needs proof then I support her in that. If it comes back negative, I will keep investigating. Her thyroid, calcium, iron, liver, kidney, white blood cell count, total blood count were all fine. She came back negative to wheat and other IgE allergies blood tests.

Interestingly, her twin brother has decided to go gluten free to testing needed. His only real symptom now(he's had more in the past) is terrible leg pains. They happen during the day which even the medical world says is not growing pains.

So there is my update. Very frustrating. But moving forward.

pork and beef free- 1994

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter