Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

parifete

Headaches

I have been gluten free for 7 months now. I have felt pretty good, but not great. I've felt really tired pretty much all the time since I stopped eating wheat, gluten and refined sugar. In the last week I have had a really bad headache with eye pain. I thought it was a head flu but now I'm not sure. I drink enough water and eat lots of protein and a fair amount veggies. I'm just wondering if I could be lacking any nutrients.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It sounds like you might be having migraines. It could be caused by other food allergies or another intolerance. Or it could just be caused by environmental issues. You may want to think about seeing a neurologist. Good luck.

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

Join eNewsletter

In finally put together a year or two ago that I am allergic to alder pollen. It is so high right now - five times higher than last year in my area - and my ONLY symptom, is headache. Well, a headache that gives me a bit of a stomach ache.

If it goes away in a while, then you get it again next early spring, you might consider it. It took me years to figure it out - and the fact that whenever I would go walk my dog by the river it would come on.

Good luck.

Join eNewsletter

I have been gluten free for 7 months now. I have felt pretty good, but not great. I've felt really tired pretty much all the time since I stopped eating wheat, gluten and refined sugar. In the last week I have had a really bad headache with eye pain. I thought it was a head flu but now I'm not sure. I drink enough water and eat lots of protein and a fair amount veggies. I'm just wondering if I could be lacking any nutrients.

Hi Parifete,

Do you wear eyewear? B) When was the last time you had your eyes examined? Or have you recently changed eyewear? If it was just headaches, i'd say any # of reasons, from withdrawl symptons to environmental factors, like changes in barometeric pressure. People who commonly suffer migranes, often have their worse kind with any type of weather pattern change.

But, As you are saying eye pain too. I'd get into an eye doc. If you do wear eyewear and have recently changed prescription levels. It often takes up to 2 weeks for you to adjust, eye strain, headaches and that, are often assoicated with your body adjusting to new eye wear.

I'd say the lack of sugar would affect you in terms of the fatigue too. You may be getting the odd cross contamination of refined sugar. Like the gluten :angry: (its everywhere!!).. aka the sugar rush, followed by the boom!! zonked. :blink:

I've also heard it can take as long as 6 months to a year to detoxic your body. Just keep at it, and make sure you try to eat a well balanced diet, within your diet strictors I mean.

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

Join eNewsletter

There are a few nutrient deficiencies which are known to cause headaches. If you Google "migraines nutrients" (without the quotes) I'm sure it will turn up plenty for you to read and consider. I seem to recall magnesium deficiency is known to cause migraines, and many Celiacs are deficient in magnesium.

Also, you mentioned being off refined sugar. I hope that doesn't mean replacing it with aspartame or other artificial stuff. The links between aspartame and migraines are very clear.

HTH

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter