Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kystef

Being Diagnosed Questions: Thanks In Advance

Hi. My doctor told me last week that he thinks I may have celiac disease. I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago with IBS and am tired of suffering and went to a new dr. He ordered lots of bloodwork and stool samples. He told me to go Gluten Free for a week and see if I feel better. This will be hard. Is going gluten free the only way to really know or will my bloodwork be enough to let him know? I really want to feel better and so if it means going gluten free, then I will but I do not want to do it if I don't have to. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi. My doctor told me last week that he thinks I may have celiac disease. I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago with IBS and am tired of suffering and went to a new dr. He ordered lots of bloodwork and stool samples. He told me to go Gluten Free for a week and see if I feel better. This will be hard. Is going gluten free the only way to really know or will my bloodwork be enough to let him know? I really want to feel better and so if it means going gluten free, then I will but I do not want to do it if I don't have to. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!

HELLO and welcome to this site. It 's the best source around.

There are three ways to diagnose Celiac.

1. Celiac Blood Panel

2. Endoscopy and Biopsy

3. Positive Dietary Response

Each on it's own is a diagnosis as well as supportive testing. The only truly accurate test is a positive dietary response (a true and full gluten free diet). The blood work can show false negatives and the biopsy can be hit or miss in the expansive small intestine.

The gluten free diet, for the most of us was a welcome challenge. Is it hard, you bet it is especially in the beginning. It can be very complicated and the learning curve is steep.

I would suggest that you not begin the gluten free diet until you decided on further testing. You will want the optimum accuracy. You do have an option of beginning the diet to see if you have a positive response, this will obscure further testing. But you may have your answer.

Hope this was helpful.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

HELLO and welcome to this site. It 's the best source around.

There are three ways to diagnose Celiac.

1. Celiac Blood Panel

2. Endoscopy and Biopsy

3. Positive Dietary Response

Each on it's own is a diagnosis as well as supportive testing. The only truly accurate test is a positive dietary response (a true and full gluten free diet). The blood work can show false negatives and the biopsy can be hit or miss in the expansive small intestine.

The gluten free diet, for the most of us was a welcome challenge. Is it hard, you bet it is especially in the beginning. It can be very complicated and the learning curve is steep.

I would suggest that you not begin the gluten free diet until you decided on further testing. You will want the optimum accuracy. You do have an option of beginning the diet to see if you have a positive response, this will obscure further testing. But you may have your answer.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks. Is there a timeframe where I should feel better as far as all these crazy GI problems are concerned? I have not eaten anything with gluten since yesterday morn and should prob carry on a few more days to see if I have results. I just get ansy and want a "quick answer" "quick fix"

Join eNewsletter

Thanks. Is there a timeframe where I should feel better as far as all these crazy GI problems are concerned? I have not eaten anything with gluten since yesterday morn and should prob carry on a few more days to see if I have results. I just get ansy and want a "quick answer" "quick fix"

Unfortunately, if you do have Celiac or a gluten intolerance, there is no "quick fix". Healing can being to occur within days and it may take up to several years to totally heal. Everyone is different as it depends on the amount of damage done. And the diet is for life.

Eating gluten free, as I said, is complex. Old toaster, wooden spoons, colanders, scratched pots and pans, medicines, vitamins, shampoo, lip sticks/balms, toothpaste, soy sauces, oatmeal are just a few of hidden sources of gluten.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Kystef,

I agree with Momma Goose as far as continuing the gluten until your tests come back or they want to do more testing.

I, too, wanted a "quick-fix". I was so frustrated and wanted things to change right away, but the sooner I accepted that it wasn't possible, it got a little easier. This "acceptance" didn't come right away either.

I was only diagnosed one year ago, so I'm still kind of new to this thing. Trying to figure out what's for dinner that both me and my husband like, but still be gluten-free, isn't very easy.

One thing is very important and that's to find support to help you through this. My natural doctor helped, but one thing that has given me hope is that I found a local support group. There was an article in my local newspaper about it and my life has been much easier. We share recipes, help others get through tough days, etc.

Anyway, I hope things start to improve as far as your health & your patience level goes.

Hang in there!

JBBR, SD

Join eNewsletter

Most people make a lot of mistakes when going gluten free, so it kind of depends on how strict and careful you are, and then of course it also depends on how fast your individual body responds. I was pretty well convinced in 2 days because my constant diarrhea and cramping eased up. Only time it returns is when I eat gluten. Other things took a lot longer to improve, like 6 months to feel relief from my joint aches, a couple months for the brain fog to let up.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter