Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brian26

Gf Flour Contamination?

As a result of some posts on this message board, I've recently found that I can find gluten-free flours such as rice, tapioca starch, potato starch, garbanzo flour, etc. at Asian and Indian grocery stores for a fraction of the health food store price.

BUT...has anyone ever worried about cross-contamination? Particularly since we don't know the manufacturing standards, etc., in other countries?

Also, does anyone know of an affordable at-home test for the presence of gluten n foods? If so, where can I get it?

I'm new to this baking for myself thing, so I'd appreciate any advice on the ingredients, etc.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is no way to test for gluten at home. If you really feel like you could br coss-contaminated then don't eat the flour. Here, a lot of regular stores carry Bob's Red Mill products. Maybe you should try them?

Actually there IS an in home kit that can be purchased. However, it is VERY expensive. If I remember right, when I called it was about 80 dollars for 5 tests. The tests can be used only once. Needless to say, I didn't get them. It's a great idea, but needs to be less expensive for me. Anyways....here is the info:

http://www.elisa-tek.com.

ELISA Technologies, Inc.

4581-L NW 6th Street

Gainesville, FL. 32609

Phone: (352)-337-3929

FAX: (352)-337-3928

Email: info@elisa-tek.com

-Jessica :rolleyes:

WOW that is expensive...the flours are just so expensive, I guess I feel like it's "too good to be true." Maybe the price of the tests will go down eventually. Thanks so much for the replies!

b112678,

Consider this. Wheat is relatively rare in oriental nations. For instance, Thai uses next to no wheat products. I got this from the owner of my local Thai restaurant. I think this mitigates the risk of cross contamination.

That system has a "very low gluten or glutenfree" result. . .no simply gluten-free. . .how could you tell if it is glutenfree or the low one? I don't like those kinds of tests.