This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oxford Spa - Cambridge, Ma - Harvard Square

Sterndogg

Sterndogg Apprentice

I know this establishment has been discussed on the forum, but finally made it over there today for lunch and for the first time in 4 years had a sandwich not in the office or at home! Absolutely incredible!! They have an abundance of sandwiches and have two gluten-free breads (Dill and Onion rolls) along with other gluten-free cookies and desserts. I wish I had my digital camera. The bread was moist and malleable and didn't break apart!

Open Original Shared Link

-Adam

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

finally diagnosed Apprentice
I know this establishment has been discussed on the forum, but finally made it over there today for lunch and for the first time in 4 years had a sandwich not in the office or at home! Absolutely incredible!! They have an abundance of sandwiches and have two gluten-free breads (Dill and Onion rolls) along with other gluten-free cookies and desserts. I wish I had my digital camera. The bread was moist and malleable and didn't break apart!

Open Original Shared Link

-Adam

I have had sandwiches there before. I absolutely love this place. It really is like having a regular sandwich except better. I love the onion rolls.

ewalton Newbie

I haven't been in about a year, but I found that I had to ask them to change gloves etc. to prevent cross contamination, depending on who was making my sandwich. They said, "oh, you're *that* sensitive, even just a crumb?".

So while the sandwiches are great, I have to suggest being very careful in how you order. Maybe they've changed in the last year and it's not a problem anymore.

-Emily

BostonCeliac Apprentice

Had to throw in my two cents here -- I LOVE THIS PLACE. The bread is incredible, really.

I WISH they would sell it -- I actually offered to buy a loaf from them once for about $40 and they said no! Oh well - I understand that others would be missing out if I took it all ;)

Sterndogg -- any mention from them that they'd be closing? I heard some rumblings on line that they might...

• 2 months later...
NewGFMom Contributor

Here's some sad news. The lady that made all their gluten-free bread and treats is no longer doing it and they don't have a new supplier. If I wasn't so swamped at my new job, I'd probably start my own business.

they just have a big sign up that says that they no longer have gluten-free baked goods. They have no plans to start stocking them again.

I"m SO sad. We live a few blocks from there, and although my son is too picky to eat their stuff, it was still nice to give a gluten-free muffin to my two year old and know she wouldn't poison her brother with one of her big sticky hugs and kisses.

I'm totally bummed.

finally diagnosed Apprentice
Here's some sad news. The lady that made all their gluten-free bread and treats is no longer doing it and they don't have a new supplier. If I wasn't so swamped at my new job, I'd probably start my own business.

they just have a big sign up that says that they no longer have gluten-free baked goods. They have no plans to start stocking them again.

I"m SO sad. We live a few blocks from there, and although my son is too picky to eat their stuff, it was still nice to give a gluten-free muffin to my two year old and know she wouldn't poison her brother with one of her big sticky hugs and kisses.

I'm totally bummed.

I can't believe it. This was really the only place around to eat a hot sandwich and feel "normal". Thank you for the information. Now what are we to do.

mamaw Community Regular

that is to bad. Do you think maybe she is regrouping & going to start a gluten-free bakery? I would get her name & contact her so she knows the demand & the loss you are having. I live in Pa & have heard how great her breads are.... Another thing is if she isn't going to be opening a bakery ask her to share her recipes so you can continue to enjoy the products. I can't see why she would not share ... But if you do get hte recipes would you share with me!!!!!

Losing a good gluten-free food is like losing a best friend...... sorry

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BostonCeliac Apprentice

OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is TERRIBLE news.... I'm so mad at myself for not getting over there to get one last delicious sandwich.

I just had to call & confirm & it's true. The woman I spoke with said they came under new ownership... the woman who used to make the bread is a full-time chef at a school out in Worcester (and the ex-wife of the past owner)... I also inquired if she knew if she would be starting a gluten free baking company and she didn't think she was... :( :(

TALENTED CHEF/gluten-free BAKER FROM WORCESTER... If you are reading this PLEEEASSEE tell us how you made that bread! There is NOTHING in the market like it and it was wonderful... If you won't share the recipe, then PLEASE begin making it & selling it - I'll buy it for top dollar, i'm not kidding.

oh sad day.

mamaw Community Regular

Is there not a way to get her name at least to try to make contact with her? Do you know if she herself was a celiac ? Maybe she belongs to a support group in the Worchester area. Somewhere there should be a public record of her ex-husbands ownership. If the bread was this good I would become Sherlock Holmes & find out something. Don't give up keep searching.

Keep me posted!!!

mamaw

JBoston Newbie

I also was a huge Oxford Spa fan and am now very sad. Has anyone been to Hot Off The Press in Cambridge? I heard they also had gluten free bread but have never been. I am wondering how it compares to Oxford Spa bread?

BostonCeliac Apprentice
Is there not a way to get her name at least to try to make contact with her? Do you know if she herself was a celiac ? Maybe she belongs to a support group in the Worchester area. Somewhere there should be a public record of her ex-husbands ownership. If the bread was this good I would become Sherlock Holmes & find out something. Don't give up keep searching.

Keep me posted!!!

mamaw

Hi -- I believe her daughter had celiac. I reached out to someone who (I think) knew what school she was at, but have not heard back from her. There are also quite a few private schools in Worcester.. but I won't give up, I'll report back if I find anything out.

mamaw Community Regular

thanks for the update/ I hope you find something out. Do you have a name? Please keep me posted as I'm interested in buying form her if she's maybe opening a bakery !

blessings

mamaw

mamaw Community Regular

bostonceliac

I've made contact with the Oxford Spa. I spoke to the ex hubby & their son. The daughter does indeed have celiac. The mother was too busy to continue on as you know she has a full-time job at a private school. They are not interested in selling the recipe.

Per the son he asked that I contact him in a few months in regards to the gluten-free bread. He is trying to get ol' Dad to start making it & selling it. The son sees the need & want from celiacs but I'm not sure Dad does yet so son is working on dear dad!

I went into how I heard of this wonderful bread in Pa; so there is a BIG want for this bread so that got son a bit more fire power for Dad.

If I were you I would call on a monthly basis & repeatedly ask for gluten-free bread. I think if everyone keeps calling & asking it will happen. I think Dad just needs a little gentle nudge to get him over the fence....

hth

mamaw

JBoston Newbie

Thanks for the info mamaw!

I will be one of the of people that keeps calling and bugging them to bring back the gluten free bread!

mamaw Community Regular

You are very welcome! Both father & son were very nice to talk too--- to me it sounds like Dad needs a bit of convincing..........& it gave me hope when the son said to call back!

Please keep me posted!

mamaw

BostonCeliac Apprentice

THANK YOU MAMAW!!!!!

Awesome news --- I will be sure to call every so often, and perhaps I'll call attention to it on my blog!

One question though.... didn't the ex-hubby sell the place to someone new? or was that false info?

Thanks again! :)

mamaw Community Regular

I'm not sure about that! I spoke to a owner at first & then he said he'd let me talk to the son .I had a bad connection but I think the son's name was Garrett or jarett or something like that. Then the son said call back & Tim was his Dad. That's all I know.... I was on my cell phone & I could barely hear him........

sorry

mamaw

• 2 months later...
mamaw Community Regular

Has anyone checked in lately with the Oxford Spa to see if they had a change of heart yet & will start making the bread once again? I haven't had time to call ( bug them) again!!!!

thanks

mamaw

BostonCeliac Apprentice
Has anyone checked in lately with the Oxford Spa to see if they had a change of heart yet & will start making the bread once again? I haven't had time to call ( bug them) again!!!!

thanks

mamaw

I actually called yesterday (Wednesday, Sept 10) and still no gluten free bread.

It's really such a tragedy - that was the truly the best gluten-free bread ever made.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi BostonCeliac

Please keep calling them as I think down the road they will get it back. It will take people to keep asking them to bring it back..... They already know they ar elosing business!!!!

Keep me posted!!!!

blessings

mamaw

• 4 months later...
BostonCeliac Apprentice

Hi... just figured I'd check back in on this? mamaw --- any word on that recipe or if they're going to begin baking & selling??

I heard there was a sign up at Oxford Spa that just says "No more gluten-free products, sorry!"

:(

and I read an internet rumor that that genius woman baker was going to europe & may be starting her own line of gluten-free products -- but it's probably all rumor... I HOPE SHE makes it & sells it here!!!!

mamaw Community Regular

I guess I forgot about them! Sorry. Too many things (illness) in my family so I haven't been able to keep up with these things .

If I were you I would call & ask to speak to her son who I believe is still there & ask him directly. If that is true then ask him to let you know when her line becomes available.

hat is all I can think of at this time.

I still wouldn't write them off yet! Sometimes it takes a long while to get things arrranged & then a divorce to boot!

keep in touch & I hope you give them a call once again.....

blessings

mamaw

Archived