Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green12

Treadmills

I am about to purchase a treadmill and have been looking through reviews. So far I have my eye on models from Sole or Spirit, and Life Fitness.

Anyone have these brands? Thoughts or opinions about them? Or suggestions/recommendations for other brands?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

After doing some research, and figuring out what specs I wanted, I went with a Pro-Form XP 550. It's working great for us, and the grade of up to 10% was important. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Oh I'm looking too, we use to have one but it died and I never replaced it. I've decided to because both my daughter and I used it and... this winter I gained 10 lbs (I've already lost 4). I don't have any trouble maintaining my weight during good weather, I'm a fantastic walker but in our wet, cold winters I just don't have the get up and go to walk as much (not to mention its totally dark once i get out of work).

So I'd love to hear more feed back on this. I too want one that inclines - at the press of a button.

Susan

Join eNewsletter

What's your budget? For a modest budget, the Nordic Track's are good. If you can afford it, Precor's are the best, or the Bowflex treadclimber. I have a Proform and it works OK and has the 10% incline, but it's REALLY loud which is a total pain, but they might not all be like that.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

What's your budget? For a modest budget, the Nordic Track's are good. If you can afford it, Precor's are the best, or the Bowflex treadclimber. I have a Proform and it works OK and has the 10% incline, but it's REALLY loud which is a total pain, but they might not all be like that.

Mine's somewhat loud, but not too loud. I have a flat panel monitor mounted to the wall in front of it, hooked up to a gaming system (an old XBOX at the moment) with a speaker system and a converter, so I can play video games if I'm walking or watch DVDs if I'm running, and I've never had a problem hearing things, even at 7mph (which is my fastest sustained run). We did go in to the store and test them out, first, to listen to them. There were quieter ones, but they were more expensive than we were willing to pay, so it was a tradeoff.

Mostly, I highly recommend the gaming system setup if you expect to be doing any walking. ;)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I am looking to spend probably $1000+, it's a big purchase so I am doing a lot of research.

I found this site that has been helpful:

http://www.treadmill-ratings-reviews.com/index.htm

The reason Sole Fitness treadmills are in the lead for me so far is their warranties, which no other company seems to compare, I had a Nordic Track before that had maintenance issues and the company was a pain to deal with to get it fixed.

Spec wise many different companies have models that are similar.

Join eNewsletter

In general, you need a solid (read: more expensive) treadmill if you will run on it and have it last a few years. The low end, cheaper ones burn out pretty quick, or develop issues.

That's what I am finding to be true with my research.

Thanks for your link, I'll check that out too.

Join eNewsletter

I've been looking at the Bowflex tread climber, has anyone used one? What is the "action" like on it?

Susan!

I haven't personally used it, but my best friend's husband is a trainer and he uses it all the time. He LOVES it!! It's always being used at the gym so it's difficult to get a turn!! If you want tot try it out, find a mainstream gym in your area that has one and see if you can get a day pass to try out their gym (but really just the machine ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

I've been looking at the Bowflex tread climber, has anyone used one? What is the "action" like on it?

Susan!

I just saw the commercial for that on tv, looks like you would get a good workout with it.

I've checked around at the different stores in my area and there are actually a lot of good deals going around now on treadmills (and other large fitness equipment items), they are really hurting with the economy and the prices have been slashed by a several hundreds of dollars.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter