Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dolcenotte

Can I Try Out Some Gluten Free Snacks/breads Before Biopsy?

Hi again. Im going Monday to meet with the gastroenterologist and from there I dont know when exactly I am getting the endoscopy done, hopefully within 2 weeks after I meet with him and hopefully sooner than later. In the meantime, I didnt want to shock myself when I do switch to the gluten free diet and wanted to experiment with some brands of bread and gluten free snack foods. If I just experiment and not remove gluten from my diet, will it alter the test results or should I just eat whole wheat and flour products only until then? How do you know which brands are best? Can anyone give me a list of favorite brands? I'm going to Trader Joe's after work tomorrow and want to get an idea of what they have there and planned on picking up a few things, trying their bakery products, etc. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

gluten-free foods of any kind won't mess up the tests as long as you are still eating typical amounts of the gluten filled stuff. Most foods are naturally gluten-free anyway.

As for recommendations, there are many opinions on what gluten-free breads are best. As you already seem to expect, it's probably a good idea to experiment. Some like what others hate. One which has been mentioned a few times recently is Sami's millet and flax bread. I bake with millet often enough to know it can work well for breads. Their site is here: www.samisbakery.com/

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Be aware that most gluten-free breads need tp be warmed up or toasted to be palatable. I don't use many storebought breads but I use Gillian's French and Cinnamon Raisin Rolls, they are a little crumbly but good flavor. Many people like Kinnikinnick's products-their breads, Ktoo's cookies(like oreos) and donuts. All the brands of pretzels are good.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Just my opinion but I would wait. Not because it might effect the test results, if you are still on a full gluten diet it shouldn't, but because many contain other flours and stuff that your system is not used to eating. That can be problematical for some of us.

It also is a good idea when first diagnosed to go with a minimally processed diet for a bit until you heal. Stuff like fruits and veggies, unprocessed meats, rice, potatoes etc. will help you heal the fastest.

You should give the diet a good shot whether testing is positive or not after your biopsy is done. You don't have to wait for the biopsy results to start the diet and many times folks will have the answer before they go back for those results. The biopsies are also hit and miss and miss is what they do for a lot us. I hope you feel better soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter