This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can I Try Out Some Gluten Free Snacks/breads Before Biopsy?

Dolcenotte

Dolcenotte Contributor

Hi again. Im going Monday to meet with the gastroenterologist and from there I dont know when exactly I am getting the endoscopy done, hopefully within 2 weeks after I meet with him and hopefully sooner than later. In the meantime, I didnt want to shock myself when I do switch to the gluten free diet and wanted to experiment with some brands of bread and gluten free snack foods. If I just experiment and not remove gluten from my diet, will it alter the test results or should I just eat whole wheat and flour products only until then? How do you know which brands are best? Can anyone give me a list of favorite brands? I'm going to Trader Joe's after work tomorrow and want to get an idea of what they have there and planned on picking up a few things, trying their bakery products, etc. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

gluten-free foods of any kind won't mess up the tests as long as you are still eating typical amounts of the gluten filled stuff. Most foods are naturally gluten-free anyway.

As for recommendations, there are many opinions on what gluten-free breads are best. As you already seem to expect, it's probably a good idea to experiment. Some like what others hate. One which has been mentioned a few times recently is Sami's millet and flax bread. I bake with millet often enough to know it can work well for breads. Their site is here: www.samisbakery.com/

missy'smom Collaborator

Be aware that most gluten-free breads need tp be warmed up or toasted to be palatable. I don't use many storebought breads but I use Gillian's French and Cinnamon Raisin Rolls, they are a little crumbly but good flavor. Many people like Kinnikinnick's products-their breads, Ktoo's cookies(like oreos) and donuts. All the brands of pretzels are good.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Just my opinion but I would wait. Not because it might effect the test results, if you are still on a full gluten diet it shouldn't, but because many contain other flours and stuff that your system is not used to eating. That can be problematical for some of us.

It also is a good idea when first diagnosed to go with a minimally processed diet for a bit until you heal. Stuff like fruits and veggies, unprocessed meats, rice, potatoes etc. will help you heal the fastest.

You should give the diet a good shot whether testing is positive or not after your biopsy is done. You don't have to wait for the biopsy results to start the diet and many times folks will have the answer before they go back for those results. The biopsies are also hit and miss and miss is what they do for a lot us. I hope you feel better soon.

Archived