Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shanluts

Bread Baking Tips

I have not had gluten-free bread for about 6 months. I fail almost every time I make it and do not like store bought. Yesterday, I had such a craving for bread I went to the store and bought Bobs Red Mill Bread mix. I happened to get onto my myspace and one of my gluten-free friends had a posting from Epicurious magazine on baking gluten-free. Ironic huh??? Well I took two of the tips and tried them.

1) Place a iron skillet filled with water in the oven with the bread to increase moisture (make sure you check the water and add more if needed

2) Take the bread out of the bread pan when it is able to hold its own shape and place it on a pizza stone

I also added about 2 T Honey to the mix.

Talk about the best gluten-free bread ever. I usually like my homemade bread warm. The next day I hate how it falls apart and MUST be toasted. Well, today I had a chicken salad sandwhich on the moistest white bread I have had in 1.5 years. Funny thing is I have used Bobs Red Mill before and it was just OK. I really think the pan of water made the world of difference!

TRY IT....Gotta go and eat a peanut butter sandwhich. LOL

Shannon

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have not had gluten-free bread for about 6 months. I fail almost every time I make it and do not like store bought. Yesterday, I had such a craving for bread I went to the store and bought Bobs Red Mill Bread mix. I happened to get onto my myspace and one of my gluten-free friends had a posting from Epicurious magazine on baking gluten-free. Ironic huh??? Well I took two of the tips and tried them.

1) Place a iron skillet filled with water in the oven with the bread to increase moisture (make sure you check the water and add more if needed

2) Take the bread out of the bread pan when it is able to hold its own shape and place it on a pizza stone

I also added about 2 T Honey to the mix.

Talk about the best gluten-free bread ever. I usually like my homemade bread warm. The next day I hate how it falls apart and MUST be toasted. Well, today I had a chicken salad sandwhich on the moistest white bread I have had in 1.5 years. Funny thing is I have used Bobs Red Mill before and it was just OK. I really think the pan of water made the world of difference!

TRY IT....Gotta go and eat a peanut butter sandwhich. LOL

Shannon

Thanks for the tips! Shannon,

We all need any suggestion we can get, to help with the "bricks of clay" lol. :D

When you place the iron skillet in the oven, with the bread. Is it under it? or Beside it? Just clarifying :)

thanks

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

Join eNewsletter

Sorry I was too vague....oops :ph34r: The article was vague too. I kind of winged it. This is what I did....

I placed the skillet next to the loaf of bread. BECAUSE I placed the pizza stone on the rack below so that it was hot when I removed the loaf. I removed the loaf after about 30 minutes of baking. I could tell it was cooked well enough to hold its own shape without the bread pan. You know when you start tapping it to check for doneness BUT it doesnt sound hollow???? That is when I did it.

BTW I only had a fajita skillet so I had to fill it with water 3 times! Also I thought the bread was smoking.....it was the moisture coming out of the oven when I opened it LOL

BTW my bread is STILL moist and tasty 3-4 days later!!!

YUMMY.

Join eNewsletter

I used the water trick yesterday, placed the giant skillet under the loaf. I had to move the rack with the bread on it halfway thru cooking because it rose too high and was hitting the top of my oven--never had that happen before. It shrank only a little after coming out of the oven, but it has the best texture I've ever gotten from that mix!! (Pamela's) I don't have a pizza stone anymore.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

I have not had gluten-free bread for about 6 months. I fail almost every time I make it and do not like store bought. Yesterday, I had such a craving for bread I went to the store and bought Bobs Red Mill Bread mix.

Do you hand make it or put it in the bread machine? My grandma uses her bread machine to get it all mixed and finishes baking it in the oven

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter