Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We're heading to Florida (Disney, yeah!) next month and want to buy gluten free sunscreen for all of us. I just don't want to risk getting my DD sick if we have a trace of it left on our hands when we're getting her snacks or anything throughout the day. Any recommendations of gluten free brands/types of sunscreen for kids or adults? Thanks!

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is always a concern of mine too!! We used the Banana Boat kids dryblock all last summer safely, I loved it because the sand didn't stick to the kids when I reapplied at the beach. You can also go for the more pricey but very good California Baby brand. It says free of gluten and many other allergens right on the label. Good Luck and have a great time!!

Cali

Cali

Here to support and cook for:

Jared (Husband with Celiac.) diagnosed and gluten free since Nov.2005

Abby ( 6 yrs old) diagnosed with celiac and gluten free since Nov.2005

Griffin (4 yrs old) not diagnosed but gluten free since Nov. 2005

Join eNewsletter

I really like Banana Boat too. A while ago, Consumer Reports testing indicated it was also the most effective in retaining its SPF ratings for the longest period of time after application. We have never reacted to it, well I have not been gluten free and used it yet, so I guess there is always the chance that I may unmask some new found reaction to it. Anyway, we use Banana Boat Maximum Sunblock SPF 50 (my son is a fair skinned red head living at high altitude in Utah...second highest skin cancer rates in the country). I have not checked on its gluten-free status.

I did see a Neutrogena gluten-free product list somewhere this week (maybe on this forum?) and it did list another sunscreen that I use as gluten free. It is Neutrogena Ultrasheer Dry Touch Sunblock, in both SPF 45 and 55.

Join eNewsletter

I am a big fan of physical sunblocks, rather than chemical sunscreens. Outside of clothing, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are the best ones for this. I like All Terrains Terrasport Sunblock, as it uses both items (they have slightly different absorption spectra), doesn't leave quite the same white sheen that California Baby does, and isn't greasy at all (a big bonus when you're out backpacking and don't get to wash your hands before eating!).

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

All Coppertone products are gluten-free (verified by phone 9/11/07).

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

I use Banana Boat. They are really nice if you call them they will tell you which ones are not gluen free. I called last summer and I think it is just the self tanning ones. I use the Banana Boat Sport and the Sunscreen Stick (easy to apply to face).

Have a great time at Walt Disney World!

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter