This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Margerine In Us

Gwen B

Gwen B Rookie

Does anyone know of a dairy free, soy free, gluten-free margerine in the States? I can't find any that are soy free and most also use hydrgenated oils which I want to avoid. The UK sells olive oil margerine, is there one here in the US?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jmengert Enthusiast

The only butter substitute I've found that is soy and dairy free, too, is Smart Squeeze--it's not really a margarine, though, as you can't bake with it (it's "butter" in a squeeze bottle). Instead, I use it as a topping: on potatoes, waffles, veggies, etc. The taste is good, and I've verified it soy, dairy, and gluten free with the company. To bake and cook, I still use coconut oil to bake in place of butter.

If anyone knows of another one, I'd love to hear about it!

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I don't tolerate Smart Squeeze for some reason. It's supposed to be GFCFSF so I likely have issues with other ingredients. The only other GFDFSF margarine option I've found is the Passover version of Mother's margarine. It's only manufactured without soy for passover so now is the time to stock up. You may be able to find it at a local kosher grocery or you can order it online here (but make sure it's for passover):

Open Original Shared Link

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, if you're one of those who can handle canola (many Celiacs can't), there's Open Original Shared Link. They have a stick margarine which is trans fat free, no hydrogenation, dairy free, and gluten-free. They use olive and canola oils.

There's an unsalted one from Fleischmann's, which if memory serves, uses corn oil, but it has trans fat.

Mango04 Enthusiast
Well, if you're one of those who can handle canola (many Celiacs can't), there's Open Original Shared Link. They have a stick margarine which is trans fat free, no hydrogenation, dairy free, and gluten-free. They use olive and canola oils.

Earth Balance has soy protein in it.

Multiple other countries sell margarine made with just olive oil, palm oil, sea salt and lemon juice. I don't know why this doesn't exist in the US. :huh:

RiceGuy Collaborator

Ah, you're right! I had forgotten, but just dug through my emails for the response from the company, and confirmed it.

Well, there is another one I think was called Mother's something or other, but I don't recall the ingredients in that one, accept that it had trans fat. It was also a stick margarine. I can't stand any of the garbage in tubs. Personally, I'd be using coconut oil if I could afford it. Not only is it scrumptious, but super healthy. The good stuff is centrifuged, and only produced in Indonesia. Last I looked it was only sold by maybe two or three companies online, the cheapest being almost $12 per pound (unless you buy quantity).

For those interested, here's the ingredients for Earth Balance Buttery Sticks:

NON-GMO INGREDIENTS: Expeller pressed natural oil blend (palm fruit, soybean, canola seed and olive oils), filtered water, pure salt, natural flavor (derived from corn - no MSG, no alcohol no gluten), soy protein soy lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy derived from sugar beets), colored with beta-carotene from natural sources.
ravenwoodglass Mentor

You could try Ghee. It is straight clarified butter and it is gluten, soy,casin and lactose free. I find it works okay for cooking, but I have never tried to bake with it. I don't like it for stuff like toast with cinnamon though. I give coconut oil shortning a big thumbs up also for baking, yumm for apple crisp.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
I don't tolerate Smart Squeeze for some reason. It's supposed to be GFCFSF so I likely have issues with other ingredients. The only other GFDFSF margarine option I've found is the Passover version of Mother's margarine. It's only manufactured without soy for passover so now is the time to stock up. You may be able to find it at a local kosher grocery or you can order it online here (but make sure it's for passover):

Open Original Shared Link

Here are the ingredients for the passover verson of Mother's margarine:

INGREDIENTS:PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, WATER,VEGETABLES MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, POTASSIUM SORBATE (A PRESERVATIVE), ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CTRIC ACID, VITAMIN A PALMITATE ADDED ANNATTO (COLOR) NO MILK PRODUCTS.

It says gluten and dairy-free on the package. Corn and soy are forbidden during passover so all of the ingredients must be derived from souces other than corn, soy, etc.

Gwen B Rookie
Here are the ingredients for the passover verson of Mother's margarine:

INGREDIENTS:PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, WATER,VEGETABLES MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, POTASSIUM SORBATE (A PRESERVATIVE), ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CTRIC ACID, VITAMIN A PALMITATE ADDED ANNATTO (COLOR) NO MILK PRODUCTS.

It says gluten and dairy-free on the package. Corn and soy are forbidden during passover so all of the ingredients must be derived from souces other than corn, soy, etc.

THANKS everyone, this is really usefeul. I must have forgotten to follow my own thread! :blink: Sorry I didn't get back sooner, been a bit wiped out lately because of some wierd flu or else I've found something else to make me ill!

I did try ghee last week and it tastes fanatastic on toast, vegetables, 'butter' chicken, curry. Used it to make wonderful chocolate nests for Easter (gluten-free corn flakes, syrup, ghee, v.dark chocolate) but I know it's a bit heavy on the cholestorol side of life so I don't want to use it too often, but it is a very good butter substitute. I even made my own ghee. Although my hubby pointed out that it might not be ok for folks who can't tolerate 'trace amounts' of milk. I didn't seem to have any after effects. My home made ghee did not look as golden as the one I bought at Wholefoods. Shame about the lack of olive oil margerine here.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Another option, albiet an imperfect one, is to mix some salt in some olive oil and freeze it. it works like butter - like VERY hard butter. It tastes olive oily. Also, coconut oil is very good for you, and you can mix some salt into it to make 'butter' as well.

Good luck.

Gwen B Rookie
Another option, albiet an imperfect one, is to mix some salt in some olive oil and freeze it. it works like butter - like VERY hard butter. It tastes olive oily. Also, coconut oil is very good for you, and you can mix some salt into it to make 'butter' as well.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll put it on my shopping list. :)

Gentleheart Enthusiast

Multiple other countries sell margarine made with just olive oil, palm oil, sea salt and lemon juice. I don't know why this doesn't exist in the US. :huh:

I also have to stay away from corn and hydrogenated things besides the usual soy, dairy and gluten. So I've NEVER found a suitable margarine or butter substitute (except for coconut oil). What are the names of these European margarines you describe? Can they be sent over here reasonably by the case or is it not practical or even possible?

Archived