Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gwen B

Margerine In Us

Does anyone know of a dairy free, soy free, gluten-free margerine in the States? I can't find any that are soy free and most also use hydrgenated oils which I want to avoid. The UK sells olive oil margerine, is there one here in the US?

gluten free 11/1/07

CF, SF, 02/08

posative Enterolab results 3/11/08

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0303

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0609

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 9,6)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The only butter substitute I've found that is soy and dairy free, too, is Smart Squeeze--it's not really a margarine, though, as you can't bake with it (it's "butter" in a squeeze bottle). Instead, I use it as a topping: on potatoes, waffles, veggies, etc. The taste is good, and I've verified it soy, dairy, and gluten free with the company. To bake and cook, I still use coconut oil to bake in place of butter.

If anyone knows of another one, I'd love to hear about it!

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

Join eNewsletter

I don't tolerate Smart Squeeze for some reason. It's supposed to be GFCFSF so I likely have issues with other ingredients. The only other GFDFSF margarine option I've found is the Passover version of Mother's margarine. It's only manufactured without soy for passover so now is the time to stock up. You may be able to find it at a local kosher grocery or you can order it online here (but make sure it's for passover):

http://www.aviglatt.com/Product_7645.html

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Join eNewsletter

Well, if you're one of those who can handle canola (many Celiacs can't), there's Earth Balance. They have a stick margarine which is trans fat free, no hydrogenation, dairy free, and gluten-free. They use olive and canola oils.

There's an unsalted one from Fleischmann's, which if memory serves, uses corn oil, but it has trans fat.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

Well, if you're one of those who can handle canola (many Celiacs can't), there's Earth Balance. They have a stick margarine which is trans fat free, no hydrogenation, dairy free, and gluten-free. They use olive and canola oils.

Earth Balance has soy protein in it.

Multiple other countries sell margarine made with just olive oil, palm oil, sea salt and lemon juice. I don't know why this doesn't exist in the US. :huh:

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Join eNewsletter

Ah, you're right! I had forgotten, but just dug through my emails for the response from the company, and confirmed it.

Well, there is another one I think was called Mother's something or other, but I don't recall the ingredients in that one, accept that it had trans fat. It was also a stick margarine. I can't stand any of the garbage in tubs. Personally, I'd be using coconut oil if I could afford it. Not only is it scrumptious, but super healthy. The good stuff is centrifuged, and only produced in Indonesia. Last I looked it was only sold by maybe two or three companies online, the cheapest being almost $12 per pound (unless you buy quantity).

For those interested, here's the ingredients for Earth Balance Buttery Sticks:

NON-GMO INGREDIENTS: Expeller pressed natural oil blend (palm fruit, soybean, canola seed and olive oils), filtered water, pure salt, natural flavor (derived from corn - no MSG, no alcohol no gluten), soy protein soy lecithin, lactic acid (non-dairy derived from sugar beets), colored with beta-carotene from natural sources.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Join eNewsletter

You could try Ghee. It is straight clarified butter and it is gluten, soy,casin and lactose free. I find it works okay for cooking, but I have never tried to bake with it. I don't like it for stuff like toast with cinnamon though. I give coconut oil shortning a big thumbs up also for baking, yumm for apple crisp.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

I don't tolerate Smart Squeeze for some reason. It's supposed to be GFCFSF so I likely have issues with other ingredients. The only other GFDFSF margarine option I've found is the Passover version of Mother's margarine. It's only manufactured without soy for passover so now is the time to stock up. You may be able to find it at a local kosher grocery or you can order it online here (but make sure it's for passover):

http://www.aviglatt.com/Product_7645.html

Here are the ingredients for the passover verson of Mother's margarine:

INGREDIENTS:PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, WATER,VEGETABLES MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, POTASSIUM SORBATE (A PRESERVATIVE), ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CTRIC ACID, VITAMIN A PALMITATE ADDED ANNATTO (COLOR) NO MILK PRODUCTS.

It says gluten and dairy-free on the package. Corn and soy are forbidden during passover so all of the ingredients must be derived from souces other than corn, soy, etc.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Join eNewsletter

Here are the ingredients for the passover verson of Mother's margarine:

INGREDIENTS:PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED COTTONSEED OIL, WATER,VEGETABLES MONO & DIGLYCERIDES, POTASSIUM SORBATE (A PRESERVATIVE), ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CTRIC ACID, VITAMIN A PALMITATE ADDED ANNATTO (COLOR) NO MILK PRODUCTS.

It says gluten and dairy-free on the package. Corn and soy are forbidden during passover so all of the ingredients must be derived from souces other than corn, soy, etc.

THANKS everyone, this is really usefeul. I must have forgotten to follow my own thread! :blink: Sorry I didn't get back sooner, been a bit wiped out lately because of some wierd flu or else I've found something else to make me ill!

I did try ghee last week and it tastes fanatastic on toast, vegetables, 'butter' chicken, curry. Used it to make wonderful chocolate nests for Easter (gluten-free corn flakes, syrup, ghee, v.dark chocolate) but I know it's a bit heavy on the cholestorol side of life so I don't want to use it too often, but it is a very good butter substitute. I even made my own ghee. Although my hubby pointed out that it might not be ok for folks who can't tolerate 'trace amounts' of milk. I didn't seem to have any after effects. My home made ghee did not look as golden as the one I bought at Wholefoods. Shame about the lack of olive oil margerine here.

gluten free 11/1/07

CF, SF, 02/08

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0303

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0609

Join eNewsletter

Another option, albiet an imperfect one, is to mix some salt in some olive oil and freeze it. it works like butter - like VERY hard butter. It tastes olive oily. Also, coconut oil is very good for you, and you can mix some salt into it to make 'butter' as well.

Good luck.

Join eNewsletter

Another option, albiet an imperfect one, is to mix some salt in some olive oil and freeze it. it works like butter - like VERY hard butter. It tastes olive oily. Also, coconut oil is very good for you, and you can mix some salt into it to make 'butter' as well.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll put it on my shopping list. :)

gluten free 11/1/07

CF, SF, 02/08

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0303

HLA-DQB1, Allele 0609

Join eNewsletter

Multiple other countries sell margarine made with just olive oil, palm oil, sea salt and lemon juice. I don't know why this doesn't exist in the US. :huh:

I also have to stay away from corn and hydrogenated things besides the usual soy, dairy and gluten. So I've NEVER found a suitable margarine or butter substitute (except for coconut oil). What are the names of these European margarines you describe? Can they be sent over here reasonably by the case or is it not practical or even possible?

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter