This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Diagnosis

AMQmom

AMQmom Explorer

My toddler is Celiac so we had bloodwork done on my eldest (almost 7 year old) and the rest of the family. My husband and I were negative, my eldest was positive. I got the results yesterday and am keeping them from her until her biopsies (which I am going to have done since I need to know a few other things about her health like allergies and the extend of damage done). This is my question: while my youngest was severly ill and reacted to gluten, my eldest seems fine. She is anxious and can tend to be unhappy, but no feeling sick. Those sick feelings really helped us get my youngest off of gluten. Any tips for easing an elder child into a gluten free lifestyle when she doesn't feel sick eating her favorite foods???? She is such a worry-wort, I am anticipating problems here and appreciate any help that you can offer! Many thanks in advance....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dbmamaz Explorer

I think I read this somewhere in reference to getting a child on the autism spectrum on to a Gluten-free Casein-free diet - she said to take it really slowly. For example, they said to first come up with new breakfast foods that they liked, until you have breakfast totally gluten free without trouble. then work on lunch. Honestly, even if you and your husband dont have celiac, you probably want to work towards totally gluten free dinners, just to make life simpler. That way she wont ask for some of what is on your plate, and you wont be making 2 of everything. Plus you'll be more motivated to make really good gluten-free meals :lol:

The hardest part will be dealing with situations at school. But if you have her totally gluten free by the end of the summer, she might actually start seeing more of a reaction when she DOES eat gluten (even emotional reactions, possibly). That might make it easier for her to buy in to the fact that she needs to only eat the foods you give her, and not accept treats from kids at school.

Good luck

Ursa Major Collaborator

You know, being a worry wart, being anxious and unhappy........ those are VERY common celiac disease symptoms right there! Plus, maybe she is so used to low-level stomach pain that she thinks it is normal, and is therefore not telling you.

When I was her age, I had no energy at all and had to force myself to have 'fun' and to keep up with my siblings. It took a lot of energy, I was always tired and rarely smiled, and as a result I was considered sullen. I'd cry at the drop of a hat (over sensitive, according to my mother), preferred reading over running around and playing and was considered lazy. In reality I was ill, which nobody took into consideration. I was also as skinny as a stick, and my mother was told to fatten me up.......... with lots of flour, milk and sugar. Guess what that did to me!

I finally figured out the gluten connection when I was 52, and all my life got slowly sicker and sicker. Your daughter is very fortunate that her celiac disease has been discovered now.

Seriously, I imagine that she will feel SO much better without gluten, that once she knows what it feels like to be well, that she won't want to ever eat it again. I believe she is old enough to understand why she needs to eat gluten-free. To 'ease' her onto the gluten-free diet will give her a false sense of it not being that important, since she can still eat some gluten every day. Plus, it will keep her sick and from knowing how good she can feel.

I would advise you to immediately put her on the gluten-free diet after the biopsy, before getting the results. Because she should be on it, regardless of the results, because those biopsies are hit and miss, and often result in false negatives.

fedora Enthusiast

hi,

I just got my daughter tested. She just turned 7. She has the celiac mouth sores, stopped growing, and has gotten cranky and sensitive. Regardless of what her test says, I am giving the gluten free diet a chance. My daughter can't type, but it might be reassuring for them to know there is another little girl going through it too. My daughter goes to dance with a little girl who just got diagnosed with Tourette's. Her family took her off gluten(not tested ) She had a 90% improvement in her symptoms. My daughter is just cranky and sensitive, but I have been talking to her about what that feels like for her. she realizes she gets upset easily. She was never like that. We talk when she is not having a spell. I ask her questions since I know it is hard for her to put it in words. I emphasis that being off gluten could make her happier. I don't make promises, just say lets see. I explain how much happier I am off gluten. My emotional symptoms grew over the years and totally wrecked my life. I learned to live with them and function with them, but that is not good enough. I feel so much better now. It is amazing. I don't want my kids to go through that if I can prevent it. Good luck.

Worriedtodeath Enthusiast

I have to second the idea that she might not know she hurts until after going gluten free. My oldest two didn't have clue that you shouldn't have a belly ache as they were used to it. 2 weeks of gluten-free and they were amazed to have a day where they recognized they felt better. Now they know they hurt when they eat something they shouldn't and they try to stay away from it.

Stacie

AMQmom Explorer

Thank you so much for sharing with me. Your input has helped me greatly! What a lot of wisdom there is to be gained on this site - thank you, again.

Archived