This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's For Dinner?

WW340

WW340 Rookie

I am bored with dinner, what are you having?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Our latest go to meal is Thai Kitchen green curry paste, coconut milk, chicken breast meat and frozen asian veggies(broccoli, snow peas, carrots, etc...) Follow directions on the curry paste for a quick, flavorful meal. Serve with rice. I found small single serving cans of the coconut milk that are just the right amount at the asian market.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

My husband doesn't have to eat gluten free so he makes what he wants for breakfast/lunch and we make gluten free dinners. Here are a few that we like:

*Spaghetti (gluten-free noodles -- Ancient Harvest and Classico Sauce) yummmmm :D

*Mrs. Leeper's makes meals that look like hamburger helper

*Tacos (Mission white corn tortillas or Mission white corn taco shells)

*Pork Loin (been on sale a lot lately) with Sweet Baby Ray BBQ Sauce and mash potatoes or Uncle Ben's Fast & Natural Whole Grain Instant Brown Rice (says gluten free on the back)

*Oscar Mayer hotdogs with french fries and vegetables

Juliebove Rising Star

We're going out for Mexican tonight. Luckily we have a restaurant here that caters to people with food allergies. :D

Tomorrow we will be having hamburgers with assorted toppings and potato chips. The next night will be beef au jus with rice noodles mixed in. Not sure what the veggie will be but probably green or wax beans since those are my daughter's favorites.

Some other favorites are turkey breast with mashed potatoes and gravy, chicken or hamburger in gravy and served over mashed potatoes or mixed with rice or rice pasta. Chili. Pasta and tomato sauce, with or without added ground beef. Peppers stuffed with a mixture of rice, ground beef and tomatoes with tomato sauce and rice cheese (can't have dairy) on top. Nachos made with refried beans, rice cheese, olives, onions, and salsa on top. Bean tacos. Stuffed potatoes. Hummus is great for a quick meal. We have gluten free crackers or breadsticks and cut up raw veggies.

Daughter loves drumsticks. Used to be able to get some (Hormel?) that were honey roasted. Can't seem to find them at the store any more. She also loves ham, and pork chops either pan fried or made in a tomato sauce with onions, peppers and garbanzo beans. She loves steak fixed a variety of ways. Lately I have been using Cowboy steak rub. Also grilled rice cheese sandwiches. Mac and Chreese. Say Cheeze. Or even a nice salad topped with kidney beans, turkey or ham and fruit.

Green12 Enthusiast

My menu is kind of boring, I just rotate my proteins wih starches and vegetables.

My proteins are:

Beef- hamburger patties, roasts, and brisket

Chicken- Mexican chicken, marinated in salsa, garlic, oregano, cumin, and lime juice and then grilled, and different varieties of hebed chicken, i.e. rosemary, garlic and lemon and then grilled

Turkey- browned ground Italian seasoned turkey for meat marinara sauce, cumin, garlic, and oregano seasoned browned ground turkey for taco salads, burritos, etc., and roasted turkey tenderloins

My starches are:

Roasted or baked red skinned potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes, spagetti squash, brown rice, rice pasta, rice tortillas, millet, anasazi beans, peas

Vegetables: I do a lot of salads with different lettuces, mixed field greens, cucumber, radish, carrot, and avocado, then roasted brocolini (very yummy), zucchini, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower soup.

WW340 Rookie

Thank you all for your suggestions.

GlutenGalAZ triggered tonight's dinner for me. I had a jar of classico sauce and some brown rice pasta, so that and some ground beef became dinner. I did a salad, too.

Some times I just get stuck in a cycle. Juliem - I have been eating primarily like you lately, although even more boring. Pretty much just a grilled chicken, fish or pork dish with a side of veggies and starch. Very healthy, but I am getting bored with it. My husband doesn't like anything for salad except iceburg lettuce and sweet onions. Lately he has let me add in some tomatoes.

Juliebove - it sounds like you have a great menu planned out. I haven't done a turkey breast in a long time. Also, you mention gravy a lot, which I never think to make. Some good ideas there.

missy'smom - I don't have the ingredients that you used, but I plan to get it. That sounds really good. I would love to find the small cans of coconut milk. I use it in baking and hate throwing part of it away.

Keep the suggestions coming everyone. I can use all the help I can get. I am just in one of those slumps.

2ofus2kids2dogs Apprentice

Tonight was country style pork ribs in the crockpot with Sweet Baby Rays, white rice and gluten-free cornbread. (made from Pamela's pancake and baking mix - recipe on her website).

My regulars are lasagna (tinykada noodles, prego sauce, mozzerella and cottage cheese), tacos, chicken breasts (just sauteed and dipped in whatever I feel like at the moment) with baked potatoes, ham, fish (grilled salmon or tuna) or flouder or talapia fried (I use Zataran's fish fry and Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour mixed together as the breader), pork chops, hamburgers. I do mac and cheese gluten free, and lots of potatoes. (I'm a very underweight celiac).

Also - I've just discovered Pamela's amazing wheat-free bread mix - and I've been making bagels with it (recipe on teh bag). They make a GREAT quick pizza. Also - I've been eating them with Ham. I actually haven't made a loaf of bread yet - just stuck on the bagels.

Enoyed everyone's dinner ideas! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JennyC Enthusiast

I've had chicken marinating all day in Sweet baby Rays barbecue sauce...so It's barbecue chicken, baked potato, fresh green beans and corn bread. If only it would cook fast enough! :D

flourgirl Apprentice

We do lots of meals in the crockpot....we either eat leftovers for a few days, or freeze bowls of things for quick to heat up meals. Most of the time I hate the thought of eating anything....but I am getting better about that. We're doing more fish, now that we can grill outside, lots of soups. We like Thai noodles with sauted veggies in peanut sauce. For spaghette, we like the Quinoa gluten-free pasta SOOOO much better than the rice or corn pasta. It has a much better texture. I bake bread....and freeze most of it so it doesn't go stale before I get a chance to eat it. Otherwise, salads, plain meats (when I can get things on sale), veggies...I guess I eat pretty boring stuff. :P

Wonka Apprentice

Tonight was a room temperature meal. Shrimp with ponzu sauce, steamed asparagus, roasted red peppers, roasted zucchini (asparagus,peppers and zucchini had 8 year old balsamic vinegar and fleur de Sel on), green beans with a nice tarragon vinegarette, coleslaw (cabbage, carrot, apple and toasted sunflower seeds with a mayo/apple cider vinegar dressing) and strawberries.

Tomorrow, more vegies, slaw, roasted potatoes, chicken cutlets with lemon caper sauce.

Wednesday: gluten-free Lasagna and salad with gluten-free French Bread. (I'll be making this tomorrow as Wednesday is going to be crazy busy)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

My 'crap, I don't feel like cooking' dinner is pasta alfredo. It's so easy, with my recipe, you just boil the pasta, make the sauce, and eat. Oh, and we made the cheese Chebe buns for burgers, that works out really good as long as you make the bun really flat so it cooks through. HAven't been able to make it work good for hot dogs. But it makes great pigs in a blanket with hot dogs, so we usually do that instead. That and chicken thighs and legs are always cheaper and bake really nicely with lots of spices on top, throw a couple potatoes in the oven a half hour before you put in the chicken and they'll finish around the same time.

sarad1 Apprentice

We don't always eat gluten free because we don't have full custody of my step son, but he is with us 50% of the time and when we have him our meals usually cater to children....but they are good. He LOVES what we call pizza chicken, which is just chicken breasts cooked all day in the crock pot with Contadina pizza sauce poured all over them. This was something we came up with one day when we were running out of gluten-free ideas and it was pretty much all we had left for him to eat, but it makes very tender chicken...you can also use salsa, which I happen to prefer...but step son does not. We serve this with a veggie, usually corn, and baked potato.

I also will make chicken nuggets with a gluten-free baking mix and parmesan cheese breading (I use the broccoli puree for dredging and it's delicious), and I make corn dog nuggets with a corn meal, egg and milk batter that the kids absolutely love. Everything is served with a veggie and sometimes a potato. We do spaghetti occasionally, but not too much...he LOVES grilled cheese and plain cheeseburger patties. We do lasagna occasionally, but he is very very picky and will only eat a little bit of it. I made a wonderful gluten-free meatloaf a while back and my husband and I devoured it, but he thought it was nasty! He likes things very plain, and he doesn't like tomatoes. He loves bologna and tuna salad. Sometimes I will get pork chops and rub both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then put it in the oven until done and he really likes that a lot. If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

amybeth Enthusiast

Pork chops sauted in a skillet with Carribbean Jerk Seasoning (McCormick) - served with frozen veggie mix (corn, peppers, onion, black beans)

Other recent favs.......

Spinach Turkey Burgers 15 - 20 minutes. ..... I found them through Racheal Ray..........quick and yummy --- I add minced garlic to mine..........serve with oven roasted potatos (or chips, if it's a real rush job)

Nachos (sometimes beef, sometimes turkey)

or tacos

Thai Kitchen (?) Spicy Thai Peanut Bake - 25 min. with chicken tenders and done....serve over rice

(it comes in a yellow envelope)

Bell and Evans chicken tenders in a salad with Wegmans Roasted Red Pepper Curry salad dressing (YUM!)

(Hatfield) Ham slice with heated crushed pineapple on top

Tuna salad with crushed pineapple and melted cheese (sounds gross but its yummy) - even better if you have an English muffin underneath.

WW340 Rookie

I really appreciate all the great ideas here. There are so many suggestions for things I would never have thought to try, but sound great.

I am not tired of reading your suggestions, and I am sure others are looking at them too, so feel free to add more. There are a lot of days of eating ahead for us all.

Thank you all for your help.

Octoberme Apprentice
We do lots of meals in the crockpot....we either eat leftovers for a few days, or freeze bowls of things for quick to heat up meals. Most of the time I hate the thought of eating anything....but I am getting better about that. We're doing more fish, now that we can grill outside, lots of soups. We like Thai noodles with sauted veggies in peanut sauce. For spaghette, we like the Quinoa gluten-free pasta SOOOO much better than the rice or corn pasta. It has a much better texture. I bake bread....and freeze most of it so it doesn't go stale before I get a chance to eat it. Otherwise, salads, plain meats (when I can get things on sale), veggies...I guess I eat pretty boring stuff. :P

Hello there...read this post and I am very interested....where would you find the Quinoa gluten free pasta? What brand is it....woudl ti be available in Canada? Sounds interesting and I would love to try it

Archived