Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mftnchn

Malabsorption Issues & Recovery

I'm 11 months GFSF and was CF until just recently, now tolerating small amounts of milk. Fat malabsorption was severe a year ago, now normal (via Enterolab).

However, lots of vitamin, minerals and amino acids are very very low. Has anyone else had this issue and has it eventually resolved (like after 2 years of healing)?

If yours has resolved, what helped?

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm 11 months GFSF and was CF until just recently, now tolerating small amounts of milk. Fat malabsorption was severe a year ago, now normal (via Enterolab).

However, lots of vitamin, minerals and amino acids are very very low. Has anyone else had this issue and has it eventually resolved (like after 2 years of healing)?

If yours has resolved, what helped?

In the initial phase of healing, vitamins and minerals may not be absorbing. Yes, I would round my healing off to two years. Diagnosed in August of 2005, I now consider myself in total remission.

It took me six months to master the diet. There is just too much to learn and too many traps. Any newly diagnosed that claims to be totally gluten free in the first few weeks, just is not aware of the scope of the gluten free challenge. The learning curve it steep.

You are showing improvement. Be patient and diligent.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Thanks, Lisa. I appreciate your input. My main worry is that there might be another cause to the malabsorption (like lyme disease which I also have and can also cause dysbiosis) and that I am not catching it. I have been careful and diligent with the diet, and yes there has been a huge learning curve.

I only have a baseline for the fat malabsorption, as I was overseas when I got my Enterolab results last year. I was just in the US for a couple of months so the tests were run and were shocking. Also, I have been feeling worse in many ways the last 4 months even though BMs are more normal.

Sherry

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter