Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

motif

Is That Proof I Have celiac disease?

Hi all,

Can symptoms come later in life? Or can be initiated by adult too?

I have had some problem with digestion and abdominal pain since maybe 5 years but I'm 45 now. If I had from the birth what damage could cause already celiac disease to my guts?

So I suspected to have celiac disease and tried for a week to avoid gluten, got better

meaning no bloating and abdominal pain. Then I forgot I ate some fish sticks

which were obviously covered with bread, so got some gluten.

The very same day I got bloating in the evening and some chest burns and weakness. Is it possible that just from such small amount of grain?

I'm getting these weakness attacks which come all of the sudden, is it celiac disease symptom?

Having also tingling and numbness in my face, legs and hands usually along.

Also after starting gluten-free diet when can I expect get better ?

thanks a lot

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes yes yes yes .. . . .etc

The time it takes to get better seems to vary greatly, but you COULD tell a difference in a week, so that's good.

BTW, a fishsticks dinner is a LOT of gluten 'round these parts.

I think just one bite would make me very sick for days - tho I can't truly say, since I'm beYOND careful & have no experience w/ being glutened except one CC amount (cross contamination) in '04, after 3 months gluten-free.

P.S. Hi motif! :) and welcome to the forum.

[Edit: P.P.S. Now that I've seen the thread's title again, I have to add that you COULD have celiac, but you don't have proof.

I'd think you already have proof that gluten is a problem, however.]

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

hi,

thanks for response, looks like I found finally very nice and helpful forum :)

So celiac disease can actually mimic spine problems symptoms like tingling, dumbness and weakness?

That's really great news that I can get rid off theses awful feeling by having gluten free diet.

BTW, I'm having heart attack also because of those gases and bloating...

So celiac disease can actually mimic spine problems symptoms like tingling, dumbness and weakness?

That's really great news that I can get rid off theses awful feeling by having gluten free diet.

BTW, I'm having heart attack also because of those gases and bloating...

Celiac can definately cause the problems you are having. And excluding gluten, feeling better and then getting ill when adding it back is a very valid way of telling you have a problem with gluten. For some of us it is the only way we can be diagnosed before we ae almost dead.

You should get some sublingual B12, it will help with the tingling and other stuff. If you are still in bad stomach pain and can take Pepto Bismal, name brand liquid, it is for sure gluten free and for my family stops the pain quickly with just one dose.

You should eliminate dairy also if you can at least until your system is back to normal. You have found a great place for info and support, welcome.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

thanks again.

that would explain all my problems I was dealing with for last 10 years and nobody could tell me what is it, what kind of doctors we have these days...Patient have to dig in on google and use help of others patients.

I read that milk and soy is allowed in gluten free diet, but you mention that you avoid it. Why is that?

I don't see I'm allergic to diary but I have guts problems after eating oats I am even it's no gluten.

So is it like secondary effect of celiac disease?

Only gluten-free oats are gluten-free, the other (regular) kinds are usually contaminated with gluten, either from the field, the threshing machine, or the facilities where it is processed.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

ravenwoodglass ,

looking at your history footnote I've noticed many misdiagnoses - how come they could misdiagnosed kidney damage for this? I'm asking because I have done creatynine test and had a little bit elevated (1.5), but It was just after long fast so I

guess it explains.