Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1GreysFan

Question About Flax Seeds & Peanuts

Hello All

I hope everyone is well! I have not been feeling quite up to par the last few days and to my knowledge I havent eaten gluten or dairy.

Im just wondering if all brands of flax seeds are gluten free and the same for all brands of peanuts?

Also, apples and apple juice are they ok or do they contain gluten in the peeling?

Thanks

Melissa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You have to check each brand of flax seeds, peanuts and apple juice individually. Peanuts are often manufactured in the same facility as wheat products and you never know about the flavourings in apple juice. Plain apples are ok. Apples do not contain gluten in the peeling nor should the peeling process introduce gluten unless there's CC at the factory.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

All of those things in their natural state are gluten free. As far as the apples, I ate one a few weeks ago for breakfast and had horrible stomach pain for the morning. I thought it was the apple on an empty stomach, but after another posters suggestion and some experimenting, I realized it was because the apple was non-organic. So it wasn't gluten, but the combo of pesticides and the outer wax covering. Another lesson learned.

If you are eating peanuts, make sure that if they have any sort of seasoning or coating, it's gluten-free. Again, peanuts are naturally gluten-free, but you always have to question when they have been processed. That goes for anything that is processed. And flax seeds shouldn't be a problem either, just make sure they are ground. Otherwise they are WAY too hard to digest and you are not getting their benefit.

Or, Could you possibly just be getting some of this crud that's been going around the past few weeks?

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Not much to add because I'm new to the disease but I have been told to expect a bumpy ride when your switching over because your asking you system to make a huge adjustment and that other food sensitivities may crop up so you may want to keep track of what your eating.

Other than that you have my moral support and good wished

I realized it was because the apple was non-organic. So it wasn't gluten, but the combo of pesticides and the outer wax covering. Another lesson learned.

Just a quick note, apples are often waxed with a lacto-resin. For people that are lactose or dairy intolerant this may bother them.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Just a quick note, apples are often waxed with a lacto-resin. For people that are lactose or dairy intolerant this may bother them.

I peel all my apples before eating them for exactly this reason (and also because not eating the peel is a little easier on your digestive system). ;)

hope you are feeling better :)

some posters have said many (or all?) dry-roasted nuts end up with some gluten - not an "ingredient", but part of the process to help the nuts not stick together.

I avoid any nuts "processed on shared equipment with wheat", some eaters won't do "processed in the same facility as wheat" either. Seems that about 75% of grocery store and 50% of health store nuts fall into my not-buying-that category - so I stick to the "always read the label" approach!

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."