Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OBXMom

Mahatma Jasmine Rice

My son is home from school for the third day, after throwing up after eating a bowl of plain Mahatma Jasmine rice for breakfast. Has anyone ever had a problem with this? I wondered another time if it had made him sick, but it just seems so unlikely. Could it be that the guidelines in Thailand, where this rice was processed, are not as strict? Or is it possible to be allergic to one kind of rice but not another? He tested mildly allergic to rice in a skin test, but had seemed to be doing fine with it during our elimination diet.

Thanks for any help-

Jane

Jane

Son (10) diagnosed 10/07 via bloodwork and biopsy

Elimination diet resulted in avoiding dairy, soy & corn for a time

Feeling much better

Enterolab results indicate gluten sensitivity for daughter (14) and myself

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't know about that brand in particular, but I always wash rice thoroughly, no matter where it comes from, even if it comes from a health food store with bins that don't allow for cross-contamination by scoops. I do that with all grains, actually -- first by swishing it around in a pot of water and pouring off the water (several times) and then rinsing it again in a mesh strainer. Maybe I'm being too cautious but I haven't had problems with cc since I started doing that.

Good luck! Ellen

Thank you all - I didn't know about washing grains, and I'll start doing that. The corn is an excellent point, since we are still working on identifying other food sensitivities. I appreciate the help-

Jane

Jane

Son (10) diagnosed 10/07 via bloodwork and biopsy

Elimination diet resulted in avoiding dairy, soy & corn for a time

Feeling much better

Enterolab results indicate gluten sensitivity for daughter (14) and myself