This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Not So Clottable?

Candy

Candy Contributor

Do Celiacs have any problems with blood clotting? I've been eating gluten-free for a while and now, if I scratch a bump it'll bleed forever where as before I went gluten-free it would seal up real quick.The gluten-free foods I eat are mostly,rice,milk,Orange juice,beans,vegetables,fruits,and meats,oatmeal and popcorn.I rarely eat gulten free baking flours.My gut feels find,but I was disturbed that my blood didn't clot up too good like it normally does-I took a vitamin recently to make sure I'm getting all the nutrients I should,and I even ate some wheat bread ,since I had no problem clotting when I ate wheat-then I'd seal up real good ,but now? I might bleeed to death. Anybody experience this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Your problem is very likely a lack of vitamin K (and eating wheat will NOT be helpful). Here is a link to find out which foods contain vitamin K. You may need to take some vitamin K supplements for a while, until your blood clots normally again.

Open Original Shared Link

Candy Contributor

Thanks Much Ursa Major !

I have heard of this, that Celiacs may need vitamin K supplements,though I wasn't sure for what. But there are so many facets to this disease,I can forget! I might get the Vite K supplements, because I can't always promise to eat loads of veggies-I do eat some salad,some vegetables,but it probably isn't enough. I have quite a collection of discount supplements thrown in a little plastic shopping bag,and now I'll add Vite K.(The vitamin shop must think I'm a little old lady since I get so many supplements)-they might offer me a wheelchair discount or something and who knows-I might need it! ha ha -no offfense to older people.

I try to get supplements when they go on sale every two weeks at the local drugstores,or at discount places on line like www.vitacost.com,and www.puritans.com

Kylie Explorer

Candy,

Where were you bleeding from? I know that sounds quite random but I had a horrible time with nosebleeds for a long time after going gluten free that no one can really explain. If the vitamin K works for you I would love to know because I probably spend more money on tissues than you do on vitamins!

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Also if you have insurance, consider getting a CBC (Complete Blood Count) to get an idea of your platelet count. Think if you have any other "bleeding" symptoms like while brushing your teeth (more than usual) or extra periods in the month or heavier periods, etc. Also, if you have any little red dots on your skin, like where your shoes touch the tops of your feet, or around a tight bra or where your seatbelt hits you. If you have any of those things, for sure get a blood test.

I say all this because I had ITP (Ideopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura), which is an autoimmune disease where your spleen kills your blood platelets (the things that clot your blood).

It's probably vitamin K or vitamin C, but please be safe if you think you fit the bill for the above symptoms.

-Sherri

loraleena Contributor

I also have ITP. I have to get my platelets checked every 6 months.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I also forgot the symptom of bruising. When I was diagnosd with ITP I hand't realized that I had bruises on either side of my elbow by about five inches each - so a huge bruise on each arm along the elbows - from resting my head in my hands with my elbows on the desk.

Anyway, good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MelliDuff Rookie

Eat 2 tbsp. of fresh parsley everyday - its about 200% of your vitamin K needs. It can not be dried it must be fresh.

If you are bruising easily and have nose bleeds this is another good indication of vitamin K deficiency. Not one or two bruises I am talking 8 to 10 plus at a time ( i got them literally 20 plus at a time on my legs and arms feet even hands) they take more then a week to heal.

Archived