Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AllieB

Severe Pain? Gluten Or Something Else

I'm not sure what happened. Yesterday, after having gluten-free yogurt for breakfast, gluten-free crackers for a snack, then a lunch at Noodles with rice noodles, veggies, and shirmp, I had a Caramel from my favorite chocalate shop, no gluten, I had the worst abnomial pain I've had in years. The whole gammit of symptoms came back as bad as they were before I went gluten-free two years ago.

I know that I can tolerate some gluten without noticeable symptoms, because I went almost gluten-free for 2 years before I got a solid diagnosis, and I cheated extensively.

Now I'm 100% gluten-free. So, is this pain (a 5+ on the pain scale) caused by gluten? Or could it be caused by something else, another food intolerance, or by caffeine?

I'd appreiciate any thoughts?

Allie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you ate out for lunch, then your food could have been cross-contaminated with small amounts of gluten. Some Celiacs report that they are much more sensitive after going gluten free.

My guess is it was a bacterial infection from the restaurant food (shrimp probably). If not that, i'd guess casein sensitivity.

Liz

I'm not sure what happened. Yesterday, after having gluten-free yogurt for breakfast, gluten-free crackers for a snack, then a lunch at Noodles with rice noodles, veggies, and shirmp, I had a Caramel from my favorite chocalate shop, no gluten, I had the worst abnomial pain I've had in years. The whole gammit of symptoms came back as bad as they were before I went gluten-free two years ago.

I know that I can tolerate some gluten without noticeable symptoms, because I went almost gluten-free for 2 years before I got a solid diagnosis, and I cheated extensively.

Now I'm 100% gluten-free. So, is this pain (a 5+ on the pain scale) caused by gluten? Or could it be caused by something else, another food intolerance, or by caffeine?

I'd appreiciate any thoughts?

Allie

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.

I was gluten-lite for about a year before I went gluten free. And like you, there were things with gluten that I could eat and not have a problem. Going gluten free was so overwhelming to me that I did it in stages. But once I went gluten free, I can't handle ANY gluten exposure.( I thought I would be one of those who didn't have enough of a sensitiviy to worry about CC....WRONG)

BTW, this restaurant you call Noodles... we have a Noodles & Co., which used to be Nothing But Noodles. I went there recently and ordered a gluten free rice noodle dish, and found a regular noodle in it. Of course I didn't eat it, and I thought maybe I would be OK....wrong again :( . I've even felt bad at the grocery store while I was standing near the flour---no joke, I could smell it in the air!

So my point is...my guess is that you have become more sensitive.

Lisa

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

I was getting 'glutened' from my local noodle place.

I was always ordering rice noodles, but as I later discovered, they were cooking the noodles in chicken stock which contained gluten. It could be something like that, maybe stock or a sauce or seasoning.

Could also be a cross contamination issue.

I also agree with what the other posts have said about increased gluten sensitivity once going gluten free.

Like you, I also went gluten lite before getting a diagnosis. I have found that the severity of my reactions to gluten have increased ten fold since going gluten free.

I hope you feel better soon :)

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.