• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

K Ro

Portland Restaurants To Visit

Rate this topic

My children (ages 13 and 16) and I will be visiting Portland soon and plan to go to New Cascadia Traditional and Grolla--any other gluten-free restaurant/bakeries recommended?

Corbett or Hawthorne Fish house. The best catfish and sweet potato fries ANYWHERE!! Corbett's has a coffee shop next door that's supposed to have good gluten-free pastries/muffins. Be advised that New Cascadia is just a little kiosk ouside of Trader Joe's. It opens at 11, and you might want to get there before noon to make sure you have a good selection. I went at 2 and 1/2 the stuff was gone! Skip Keana's Candyland, I wasn't impressed with the baked goods and the lunch wasn't good. I've heard that Andina's is good and they have a gluten-free menu (Peruvian restaurant). Lingonberries is the gluten free store in Vancouver off of I-205 and SR-500. Have you been to PDX before?

Corbett or Hawthorne Fish house. The best catfish and sweet potato fries ANYWHERE!! Corbett's has a coffee shop next door that's supposed to have good gluten-free pastries/muffins. Be advised that New Cascadia is just a little kiosk ouside of Trader Joe's. It opens at 11, and you might want to get there before noon to make sure you have a good selection. I went at 2 and 1/2 the stuff was gone! Skip Keana's Candyland, I wasn't impressed with the baked goods and the lunch wasn't good. I've heard that Andina's is good and they have a gluten-free menu (Peruvian restaurant). Lingonberries is the gluten free store in Vancouver off of I-205 and SR-500. Have you been to PDX before?

yes i used to go often for work but haven't been there in many years. last time was for a GIG conference.

I would definitely second the recommendation for both Corbett's Fish House and Hawthorne's. They are owed by the same people. The best part is that they are not even intentionally making their fish gluten free but found that the recipes they liked best ended up being gluten free. They just found that people like me will not travel to Portland without making a stop. Fish and chips is really hard to come by at restaurants on this diet.

The fish and chips, tarter sauce and even the clam chowder is gluten free. It is a great place for kids. They usually even have gluten free desserts from a local bakery cheesecake, carrot cake etc. That is always changing but one time we had a wonderful four layer chocolate cake for dessert. Heaven.

I am going to Portland in a few days and I guarantee that I will stop by one of the restaurants. Maybe more than once.

If you go to Corbett St. Fish House on Tuesday or Saturday you have to get their crab/cheese soup. It's the best I've ever had. Stopped there today for soup and sweet potato fries. Yummm.

Gretchen

The BEST meal I have EVER had in my life was at McCormick and Schmick's down by the waterfront. It was also gluten free :) I had brie/shrimp/crab stuffed salmon and the caprese salad. for dessert I had this heavenly flourless chocolate truffle cake. Definitely a great place to visit!

http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/