This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tonsil Stones

Chiron

kareng Grand Master

I had to stop both gluten and cashews to get rid of this affliction. Perhaps you are reacting to some other substance. I took a food sensitivity test which pointed me in the right direction. Don't give up.

Just an FYI - the post you are responding to is 6 years old. I don't think that poster has been on for a few years.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

across Contributor

Wow! I had no idea these were related to celiac. I've had these since I was a kid. It makes me wonder just how long I've been celiac, since many of the symptoms I have, I had even as a child (only to a lesser degree). I'm middle aged, and it's a little scary to think that I've been sick my whole life without knowing it.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Where was it mentioned that it relates in any way to Celiac? I have never heard this.

Usually there is a criteria of 3-4 cases of tonsillitis or strep in a one year period for a Dr. to take tonsils out. It is MUCH harder on adults and there is a higher incidents of bleeding issues in adults. Also, they crypts often reappear making it not worth the procedure.  

kareng Grand Master

Wow! I had no idea these were related to celiac. I've had these since I was a kid. It makes me wonder just how long I've been celiac, since many of the symptoms I have, I had even as a child (only to a lesser degree). I'm middle aged, and it's a little scary to think that I've been sick my whole life without knowing it.

Where was it mentioned that it relates in any way to Celiac? I have never heard this.

Usually there is a criteria of 3-4 cases of tonsillitis or strep in a one year period for a Dr. to take tonsils out. It is MUCH harder on adults and there is a higher incidents of bleeding issues in adults. Also, they crypts often reappear making it not worth the procedure.

I haven't seen that "tonsil stones " are caused by Celiac. It's just people on here saying they have them. I think in any population of people, some will have them. So..... Let's do the math....out of almost 14,000 views of this topic - assume some are duplicates - maybe 1000? That means that out of the 13,000 people who have viewed this - 15? Have commented that they have tonsil " stones".

Granted that math isn't very good but...... Nope....I am not seeing a correlation. :)

I think people want to blame every physical ache, pain, illness, global warning and pet overpopulation on Celiac. The fact is, we all get different " illnesses" or " conditions" and so do people who don't have Celiac to blame.

across Contributor

The OP said, "I have read previous posts on the forum and realize that a condition that has plagued me since childhood called tonsil stones or cryptic tonsils is related to celiacs." 

I was just reacting to that post. 

HavaneseMom Explorer

Your tonsils are part of your lymphatic system and the stones can be causes by a few different things.

Here is a really good read on it:

Open Original Shared Link

I have cruddy tonsils, but have found that when I maintain a regular exercise program, they clear up and are nice and clean and small. It takes me about 2-3 weeks of daily 30 minute walks on the treadmill where I break a good sweat before they clear up and look pretty again. If I don't keep the exercise up, they go back to being cruddy. The article in the link explains how exercise can improve your lymph flow and improve your tonsil health. ( I have never used the product in the link by the way, I just thought the article they wrote was a easy read and explained everything well)

kareng Grand Master

Your tonsils are part of your lymphatic system and the stones can be causes by a few different things.

Here is a really good read on it:

I have cruddy tonsils, but have found that when I maintain a regular exercise program, they clear up and are nice and clean and small. It takes me about 2-3 weeks of daily 30 minute walks on the treadmill where I break a good sweat before they clear up and look pretty again. If I don't keep the exercise up, they go back to being cruddy. The article in the link explains how exercise can improve your lymph flow and improve your tonsil health. ( I have never used the product in the link by the way, I just thought the article they wrote was a easy read and explained everything well)

Thanks for the link.  No mention of Celiac there or in this one:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived