This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possibly Celiac - Exercise Make Worse?

runnerkat

runnerkat Apprentice

I'm new to this forum and I've only read a few other posts, so I hope this question hasn't been already asked. But I'm currently being scheduled for an endoscopy and having blood tests run because my doctor suspects that I may have celiacs. I fit all the symptoms to the T, and it would really explain a lot. But in the meantime, I'm continuing to eat normally (thus continuing to have stomach issues). I wish the tests didn't take so long! This seems like such a long process!

Anyway, on to my question. I'm a runner and I love to run (though lately my runs haven't been nearly as good as I'd like them to be and I don't have nearly as much energy as I used to have :( ) lately I've also been noticing that running seems to exacerbate my symptoms, and after the run my stomach feels worse (gassier, crampier, more stomach pain, diarrhea-like stool) than before I run. Has anybody else noticed this? Is there any logical reason why this would happen? Would I be better off stopping the running until after I've been diagnosed and can figure out how to deal with it?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated! This is all so new to me and I don't know how to deal with it! I just want to be healthy again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

The only running I've done is to the bathroom. :P

I wanted to welcome you. This is the best site around for information regarding Celiac and other associated issues. You are wise to continue to eat gluten prior to your testing.

njbeachbum Explorer

hello... welcome to the forum. so i play volleyball competitively and i also do some weight training... i will definitely say that my tummy always feels worse after i spend all day playing ball at a volleyball tournament. also, i've noticed that my symptoms are worse when i work out at the gym in the evening... both weights and cardio. i wish i could tell you why, and if anyone knows a medical reason for this, please do share!

Guest hightop girl

There is a thread about this in the exercise and fitness forum. The jist is that a lot of us have that problem... especially with high impact sports.

runnerkat Apprentice

Thanks for the welcome and responses. I will go check out the exercise and fitness forum - I didn't even realize there was one! :)

runnerkat Apprentice

Thanks for the welcome and responses. I will go check out the exercise and fitness forum - I didn't even realize there was one! :)

HAK1031 Enthusiast

for me a big part of the problem was eating kashi granola bars before/during/after runs :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest hightop girl

Long runs (15+ miles) have always made me feel worse, but maybe it has to do with what I fuel with. I have noticed that if I run early in the morning, I have less bloating and other symptoms. I think it has to do with what I eat throught the day... ;)

Puffin Newbie

have been gluten free for 16 months and when I make a mistake and get sick exercise exacerbates the pain, I can't get out of bed for 7 days without a wave of nausea and pain coming over me, the second week I can't sit in a car or at my desk and have to stand, the 3rd and 4th week I still have problems with fatigue and pain, all of it is related to my guts being pinched from being bent over of the movement from exercise. With that being said I try to get back to my exercise as soon as possible, I can only imagine what you are going through if you have not been gluten free yet.

motif Contributor

interesting, I have noticed that too. After I do few miles later on I start to feel weak and funny.

Strange thing though swimming doesn't work that way, I feel good after swimming for 30 minutes.

I suspect one or two things celiac disease or something with spine, which I didn't figure it out yet.

As for now I'm gluten free since 3 weeks, and just last weekend I run 4 miles and since Monday I feel bad,

no stomach pain though, just weakness and tingling.

Archived