Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gluten=bad

Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free Flour/baking Mix

Recently I used Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour/baking mix to make some banana nut muffins. They smelled good baking, but had a horrible chemical type of taste. Afterwards I had indigestion for the remainder of the day. Has anyone experienced this? I've also made pancakes with this and had the same thing happen. I have bought the Pamela's baking mix, but so far have only used it for a breading for chicken nuggets and for a cherry cobbler. Is it just me?

Stepmomof 2

Married for 5 years

Dx with PCOS February '07

Dx with Celicac disease February '08

Gluten-free since 02-24-08

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If you have the mix listed on the company's site, it has garbanzo and fava bean flours. I have determined that Bob's bean flours are rancid because they stone grind the beans, which causes excessive heat, breaking down the oils in the beans. That would be my guess as to the bad taste you experienced. So I'd suggest a different mix. I blend my own, which is generally cheaper too.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

It's the bean flour you are tasting. I don't use any of Bob's bread mixes or the all purpose flour for that reason. I can only stomach bean flours in something that has another strong flavor to cover it up. Try using it for making brownies or something with spices. Some of us are supertasters when it somes to the bean flour. I'm the same way with quinoa flour.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I use Bob's Red Mill baking flour all the time in my muffins and it tastes fine to me. No after taste noted. I suppose some people's taste buds are more sensitive than others. I suspect mine are dead --- :D

CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin

1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

I actually cried the first time I used their all purpose flour. I was so happy to be able to make cornbread, and it tasted like bloody pennies. It was awful. I hate that stuff. I only bake with Pamela's baking mix now. It tastes just like the real thing.

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll be sticking to Pamela's mix from now on.

Stepmomof 2

Married for 5 years

Dx with PCOS February '07

Dx with Celicac disease February '08

Gluten-free since 02-24-08