Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Puddy

Anyone Use Micalcin?

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 4 months before discovering I have celiac disease. I took Boniva for 3 months and had a bad reaction. At the time the Dr. discovered my celiac disease she also discovered a large hiatal hernia so Boniva, Fosamax, etc. is now forbidden. I am only taking calcium, Vit D and magnesium at this point, but my GP wants me to go on Miacalcin so I don't lose anymore bone mass before I begin to heal and absorb calcium again. Has anyone had any experience with this, also? Thanks for your help.

Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis at age 25. I took fosamax for about 6 years. I also took Miacalcin for about a year. For that year I was taking both fosamax and miacalcin. I didn't have any problem with either drug. The only thing with the miacalcin was that it made my nose run a bit when I first started taking it (that went away, though). And you have to remember which nostril you are supposed to use because you switch every day. :)

Unfortunately, I have not been back to see if my bone mass has increased. I probably should do that. I am not taking either drug any more.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis at age 25. I took fosamax for about 6 years. I also took Miacalcin for about a year. For that year I was taking both fosamax and miacalcin. I didn't have any problem with either drug. The only thing with the miacalcin was that it made my nose run a bit when I first started taking it (that went away, though). And you have to remember which nostril you are supposed to use because you switch every day. :)

Unfortunately, I have not been back to see if my bone mass has increased. I probably should do that. I am not taking either drug any more.

Hi Cruelshoes! Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a try. The dr. said there are no side effects, so I guess it can't hurt since the oral drugs are no good for me.

Toni

Gluten Free - February 16, 2008

Diagnosed with positive bloodwork and biopsy.

No digestive symptoms for the past 25 years, but did have severe anemia, osteoporosis, lactose intolerance and RLS at time of diagnosis.