This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Causes Abdominal Bloating?

nikki2008

nikki2008 Contributor

Is it because food stays too long in the intestine, or not long enough, or...?

I've been gluten-free for almost three weeks, and the bloating is really bad.

My stool is still soft for the most part, and often yellowish in color. I'm not sure if there's a connection.

Is it better to eat or not eat when you're bloated?

I've been taking Gas-x and Pepcid, but they're not helping much. I'd really appreciate any advice on how to stop the bloating and whether it's stopped for people on the gluten-free diet, and if it has remained so.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor

I think it's often a problem w/ eating certain foods.

2 of the possible causes are food intolerances and candida overgrowth, both of which I've had.

Are you also dairy-free and soy-free?

If not, I'd say start there.

Nearly every celiac starting gluten-free should also be dairy-free for a few months.

Motorboater Explorer

My stool is still soft for the most part, and often yellowish in color. I'm not sure if there's a connection.

I've been taking Gas-x and Pepcid, but they're not helping much. I'd really appreciate any advice on how to stop the bloating and whether it's stopped for people on the gluten-free diet, and if it has remained so.

Thanks.

Make sure the Gas-x and Pepcid are gluten free, I was told in July '07 the chewable Gas-x was not gluten free, that maybe why your still bloating......

constantly questioning Newbie

Thanks.

Hi. My bloating was really bad. People thought I was pregnant. It was embarrasing to go out to a bar and drink! I agree with Tom, check your dairy intake. At first I couldn't handle lactose and now I can in small doses. Check everything that is going into your body...meds, food and drinks. Some people recommend to go with natural non-processed foods until the bloating ends. And, yes, I hope for you it does. Mine still comes and goes. However, for the most part once you get a handle on your diet you can begin to control your bloating. Sometimes, there is something you are injesting that you don't even realize is doing it. So for now, I know it sounds tough, but check everything.

Guest hightop girl

I am pretty new to this, but my bloating is going away. I gave up lactose and dried fruit as well as very sugary fruits... basically working on lactose intolerance and a yeast overgrowth. Within a day the bloating started to subside.

AliB Enthusiast

When I stopped gluten I also stopped dairy, most carbs and sugar. Within 5 hours the pain had gone, within a week the bloating and discomfort had gone.

If Candida/yeast is a problem, the yeasts use the carbs we eat as foods, especially the di- (lactose and sugar) and poly-saccharides (grains and starches), as damage to the gut usually means that we are lacking the enzymes needed to break them down properly. The gas is a by-product of the Candida. The more carbs we eat, the more gas is produced.

The carbs in veg and fruit is generally mono-saccharides which are easily assimilated by the body and less likely to be a problem. I try to eat fairly simply and just stick to unprocessed meat, fish and poultry, fruit and veg, some nuts and a little honey. It seems to be working as I can now tolerate a few foods that I couldn't a few weeks ago, like eggs.

bluejeangirl Contributor

I read an article on IBS on why they get bloated. It seems if you have problems with a food and it sets off intestinal cramps and diahhrea, that movement (parastalic) is going to push that food out. If there isn't any food or waste to push then air/gas gets sucked up in there instead. So the air/gas will bloat you. So it can just be the contractions going on that is causing the trouble. You could be getting c.c. or you might have another intolerance.

Gail

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MELINE Enthusiast

hello

for me it was IB Syndrome and lactose intolerance. For IB syndrome boil your fruits and vegetables, NO fried food, no fat, exercise and drink 6-8 glasses or water every day. Fried oil is bad bor IB S but also for lactose intolerance cause your body thinks fried oil is lactose.....weird.... :huh:

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

It sounds like folks have given you great answers/experiences. I was bloated and uncomfortable from about 2 years old to about 38 years old. I would go from a 28 inch waist to a god-knows-what waiste, definitely pregnant looking, doubled over in pain, have to unbuttton pants, etc.

These are the things that helped me:

1. quitting gluten

2. quitting dairy (the biggest culprit for me, along with constipation)

3. quitting dried fruit - especially when mixed with nuts

Other things that help are walking. Lots of fiber works for some folks, makes other folks worse. I'm a high fiber person myself. I eat lots of raw veggies and avocados, figs, and flax meal sometimes as well.

It took a while to get this under control - it was quitting all sugars/fruits that finally solidified it...and if I eat dried fruit today I will definitely end up bloated tomorrow. (If I eat dairy today, I'll be constipated for a week.)

Good luck.

Archived