Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So finally I am gluten-free, yay! It's only been a few days, but so far the first things to disappear are the brain fog, some of the bloating and about six pounds. But I'm still getting D pretty much every day. Is that normal?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Recovery time can vary widely from person to person, just as the symptoms can. For instance, it took six months for me to notice much of anything. The immune system keeps generating antibodies for a short while after the toxic substance is no longer present, and I'd suspect there can be small amounts of the toxin lingering in the body for a few days or more. So I'd say give you body some time to clear itself out, and for the immune system to calm down. Also, do make sure your utensils and such are not harboring any gluten. In case you haven't already done so, get a new toaster if you want to toast gluten-free items too. Throw away wooden spoons, check soaps, shampoos, and all other skin/hair care products.

I'm sure others will chime in with good suggestions too.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Wow thats really fast.

I am about 6 weeks in, my stomach symptoms have mostly disappeared but my lethargy comes and goes as does the brain fog. However I think that I have accidentally ingested gluten a couple of times, I'm in Australia and the food labeling laws out here make it difficult to eat anything processed and be sure that it is gluten free. So I've been sticking mainly to fresh foods, which are probably better for me anyway :)

If I could make any suggestions for a newbie, they would be:

1. Do a total gluten clear out in your house

2. Buy a gluten-free multivitamin

3. Be careful about cross contamination

4. Be patient, it may take a while to completely heal

Good luck! This condition is a complete lifestyle change, if you need support you will always find it on this forum.

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

So finally I am gluten-free, yay! It's only been a few days, but so far the first things to disappear are the brain fog, some of the bloating and about six pounds. But I'm still getting D pretty much every day. Is that normal?

If it helps at all, I had D for at least a week, if not a little more. It got progressively better but it took time. I felt better within days of starting the diet -- tummy cramping eased up, chills, things like that -- but then I got nailed with influenza, so I'm having a hard time comparing before and afters at this point. ;)

Hang tough! =)

Goal Checklist:

100% Gluten Free Home [x]

Endoscopy [ ]

Entero Labs Gene Test [ ]

Weight Gain (current: 105lbs.) [ ]

Husband's Support [x]

Learn to Cook [x]

First House [ ]

Pregnancy [ ]

Unhealthy for 25 years. Always too skinny, always "diagnosed" by a hypochondriac mother. Pre-diagnosed by a walk-in clinic doctor April 2008 despite a negative blood-test. "Gluten-free" since then -- barring, of course, all the learning curve accidents I'm still suffering! Official diagnosis still pending.