Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Petrafan4life79

Am I Grasping At Straws?

Bear with me as this might be long...A couple years ago my husband was talking of joining the military, so I was jogging with him. One night I started having heart palpitations, then they were off and on all day, everyday. I was getting lightheaded from them, too. I was also having all sorts of weird symptoms, like I would feel disoriented, out-of-body if you will. Like I was functioning day to day, but everything seemed far away, etc. Constant brain fog, almost like I'm drugged or something. I would get inner trembling. I even have high blood pressure. In the summer time the heat really bothers me. I have a constant pressure in my head most all the time. Could be my blood pressure? Then, every March and April I will have a constant 24/7 headache. Just a constant ache. Lights and noise don't bother me, though. Then it goes away like nothing happened. Doctors have ruled out allergies. Sometimes (not always) after eating breads I get diarrhea within a half hr. My stomach is always gurgling and I'm very gassy A LOT. Just all sorts of weird things. The doctor had me wear a Holter monitor for the skipped beats, sent me to a cardiologist and they said the palps were caused by high blood pressure, that my heart was fine.

Back to the doctor, they sent me for an MRI. They tried to tell me it was anxiety and I KNEW it wasn't. So they said MRI. That showed 6 spots on my brain and they thought it might be MS. They came back saying it wasn't, but in the back of my mind I wondered, 'What if it's a misdiagnosis?' They did a bunch of tests and everything was negative. That it was like old scar tissue. And was NOT a brain tumor. Whew!

I also have had continuous vaginal bleeding (period?). Pap smears and all came back negative. It's mainly only when I go pee that little 'clots' show up in the toilet. I'm not filling a pad every 2 hrs. or anything. It's more like a spotting, but I am NOT pregnant. It's just been a constant thing for the last year or so. We don't have insurance right now, so I can't exactly go in. It doesn't have me REAL concerned, but it's questionable, cause I shouldn't be having this issue all the time, you know?

I then went to my chiropractor who does nutrition response testing and I got further with her. She said a lot of my symptoms sounds like they're diet related. With all I've read, I think most all our medical problems ARE diet related. When I was at my chiro's for an appt. she put some wheat grains in my hand and I reacted to it. The same thing with sugar. She told me if I'm not careful I could end up getting Celiac Disease or diabetes, because my Mom died from it. So, short of running in for a Celiac test, she said to eat as if I have Celiac Disease. She herself as well as all the other women in her office don't eat gluten at all and they feel SOO much better than they ever have.

I have found SO much on gluten intolerances on the internet. I know what the main symptoms are, but I've found people who's symptoms (similar to mine) have gone away since going gluten-free. Heart palpitations, high blood pressure, problems with heat, brain fog....Evidently doctors have found spots on the brains of those with Celiac Disease. I have so many symptoms that scream gluten intolerance, yet those same symptoms can be any number of other problems. BUT, the doctors have said I'm completely healthy, so they don't know why I'm having all these issues.

Am I grasping at straws or could it very well be Celiac Disease in my situation? I need to go gluten-free. With a wheat intolerance I need to go gluten-free. Like I said, the women at my chiro's office feel a lot better being gluten-free and they don't even have Celiac Disease. But, my question is, do any of my symptoms sound like a gluten intolerance? I mean, all the doctors I've been to can't find anything wrong. All blood tests are normal, MRI is NOT Multiple Sclerosis or a brain tumor. They can't figure out why I have spots on my brain. Doctors don't know why I have high blood pressure, brain fog, dizziness, trembling, gassiness....

I'm just a mystery. Your thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

"When I was at my chiro's for an appt. she put some wheat grains in my hand and I reacted to it. The same thing with sugar. She told me if I'm not careful I could end up getting Celiac "

...Now, I have heard a lot of things, but this is the first time I've heard this. Celiac is not a virus, you can't catch it. It is an autoimmune disease that you are predisposed to and it is often inherited. With over 200 symptoms, you mentioned a few,

If you are going to pursue testing, you must continue to eat gluten up until your testing is finished. This is the panel of test that your doctor should order:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA

Total IgA level.

Welcome to the forum. It's the best place to learn about Celiac and other associated issues.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

If you can't afford to see a gastroenterologist for celiac testing---- just go strictly gluten free and see if you get better------------ You have nothing to lose.

There are a host of autoimmune diseases out there. Lupus causes heat and sun intolerance. Fibromyalgia can mimic MS. Hormone imbalances can cause your vaginal spotting, and your heart palpitations.

Has your thyroid been checked???

I assume you are not old enough for menopause.

CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin

1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

Yeah, I think it'll be easiest for me to just go gluten-free and see how I do with that. One thing I forgot to mention til just now is when I was tested at my chiropractor's she was saying I'm not digesting food properly and that I'm not going #2 often enough. Every other day or so is normal for me, or so I thought. I didn't realize you should go every single day. :huh: Lots to learn I guess.

My chiropractor's not saying I will 'catch' Celiac or anything. She's just saying with the foods I'm eating and the symptoms I'm telling her it sounds like my body is having a reaction to the breads I'm eating. That if I'm not careful I could end up having more serious problems, such as Celiac Disease. I have 2 friends that had next to no problems eating breads growing up and all of a sudden one day they were having problems. They got tested and found out they have Celiac Disease. So, I'm guessing it's possible to one day just 'get Celiac Disease'?

Well, mainly I've heard people say eat meats, fruits and vegetables. That you don't HAVE to have the carbs from breads cause you get it from your veggies. I've even read of a connection between diabetes and carbs. Most carbs are bread products.

That's all I've got!

Oh yeah, before I forget. What would cause you to have diarrhea then? It's not an everyday thing, but sometimes I'll get it, then I'll be all weak and clammy afterwards.

I read the replies and understand that it could be anything when it comes to the heat, palpitations and the like. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my first entry that they palpitations only happen once or twice a day now, not constantly like they were at first. Mainly if I run up the stairs, bend down to pick something up, anything that requires exertion. Before it used to be whenever it wanted. It didn't matter if I was showering, doing dishes, watching tv, anything. It still happens whenever, but moreso whenever I do something with exertion.

It just strikes me as odd that I have the high blood pressure, pressure in my head, diarrhea for whatever reason, dizziness, weakness, trembling, etc.

Like I said, everything came back normal. When I asked about all my numbers the doctors said they're all normal. What the heck is wrong with me then? Why am I constantly fatigued? Like to the point of wanting to sleep all the time?

No, I am not a hypochondriac. Like I told my husband, "How can a person be a hypochondriac when they FEEL their heart skipping beats and the doctor even saw them on the Holter monitor? How can you be a hypochondriac when you feel yourself all weak and clammy, when you ARE dizzy, when you have trembling going on?"

... One night I started having heart palpitations, then they were off and on all day, everyday. I was getting lightheaded from them, too. I was also having all sorts of weird symptoms, like I would feel disoriented, out-of-body if you will. Like I was functioning day to day, but everything seemed far away, etc. Constant brain fog, almost like I'm drugged or something. I would get inner trembling. ...

That showed 6 spots on my brain and they thought it might be MS. They came back saying it wasn't, but in the back of my mind I wondered, 'What if it's a misdiagnosis?' They did a bunch of tests and everything was negative. That it was like old scar tissue. And was NOT a brain tumor. Whew!

... I've found people who's symptoms (similar to mine) have gone away since going gluten-free. Heart palpitations, high blood pressure, problems with heat, brain fog....Evidently doctors have found spots on the brains of those with Celiac Disease. I have so many symptoms that scream gluten intolerance, yet those same symptoms can be any number of other problems. BUT, the doctors have said I'm completely healthy, so they don't know why I'm having all these issues.

... All blood tests are normal, MRI is NOT Multiple Sclerosis or a brain tumor. They can't figure out why I have spots on my brain. Doctors don't know why I have high blood pressure, brain fog, dizziness, trembling, gassiness....

I'm just a mystery. Your thoughts?

I had the "inner trembling", "heart palpitations or skipped beats" and brain fog. All gone now.

Ravenwoodglass had the spots on the brain that showed on the MRI. You might PM her.

Avoiding all gluten might make your symptoms go away or lessen. You may have other things, as the other (very smart) posters mentioned, but going gluten free is a good start. There should be nothing stopping you from going gluten free, especially if you have no insurance for testing/doctors. Good luck!

~Laura

Diagnosed by biopsy 2/12/07. Negative blood tests. Gluten-free (except for accidents) since 2/15/07. DQ2.5 (HLA DQA1*05:DQB1*0201)

Son, age 18, previously delayed growth 3rd percentile weight, 25th percentile height (5'3" at age 15). Negative blood work. Endoscopy declined. Enterolab positive 3/12/08. Gene results: HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201 HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0503 Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1(Subtype 2,5) Went gluten-free, casein-free 3/15/08. Now 6'2" (Over six feet!) and doing great.

"Great difficulties may be surmounted by patience and perseverance." Abigail Adams (1744-1818) 2nd First Lady of the United States