Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megra

Low Calorie Bread

Does anyone know of any low calorie gluten free breads or bread receipes? I am on weight watchers and the bread I eat is 3 points for one slice! Too rich for my blood! Any suggestions? <ahttps://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/uploads/emoticons/default_blink.png' alt=':blink:'>

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lettuce! LOL :rolleyes:

I am on South Beach and gluten-free bread is WAY to high on the GI bcuz of the rice flours/potato starch etc....

If you find one for real let me know.

Shannon

No such thing as low calorie or low carb gluten free bread.

If you are trying to lose weight---- bread of any kind is your enemy. :)

CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin

1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

Well, some are lower than others, but you'll likely do better to make your own. I actually don't use all those starchy flours in my breads, because I like a more hearty bread, not "white bread". So it also depends on what you like. Though I haven't compared calories of different gluten-free breads on the market, one which I would think is lower is Sami's Millet and Flax Bread. According to their site, it's 76 calories per slice. I've seen posts from members saying it tastes really good.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Well, some are lower than others, but you'll likely do better to make your own. I actually don't use all those starchy flours in my breads, because I like a more hearty bread, not "white bread". So it also depends on what you like. Though I haven't compared calories of different gluten-free breads on the market, one which I would think is lower is Sami's Millet and Flax Bread. According to their site, it's 76 calories per slice. I've seen posts from members saying it tastes really good.

Didn't I read that Sami's is totally not safe?

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

I haven't seen anything about it being unsafe in any way, but I'm sure if the question is posted in a separate thread, there would be at least some responses. Maybe there's already a thread on it. I haven't looked.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I like kinnikinnick tapioca rice or sunflower flax breads...90 cals per slice, yummy, and healthy!

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Here's a thread on the subject of Sami's bread--

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...33&hl=samis

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Hello RiceGuy,

I would love to see your recipe for hearty, starch-free bread.

Laura

Does anyone know of any low calorie gluten free breads or bread receipes? I am on weight watchers and the bread I eat is 3 points for one slice! Too rich for my blood! Any suggestions? blink.gif

I've only recently seen it in a store, but Julian's bakery makes an almond/coconut flour bread that's 60cal (3g fat, 6g tot. carbs (5g fiber), 7g protein) and a coconut flour bread that's 35cal (1g fat, 6g tot. carbs (5g fiber), 5g protein) per slice.  http://www.paleobread.com/

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA