This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Tell What The Reaction Is From?!

jewi0008

jewi0008 Contributor

Does anyone know the typical timeframe from when you ingest gluten to when the symptoms come? I have been gluten free for almost 2 weeks. I've been eating great. I've been feeling great. Then, all of the sudden on Monday I got sick. I had smelly silent gas all day, a growling stomach and then it was capped off at night by 2 bowel movements of "dark pile." Tuesday morning I was a little gassy; nothing major. And then it all stopped. I wonder if it was something from Saturday or Sunday or before...I have a food journal and I want to try to pinpoint this!!

Thoughts?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest j_mommy

It sounds like you ate something or got CC'd. For me the first few months were hard. You think you are doing great and then you get hit. If I get CC'd(knock on wood b/c it's been awhile!) it is anywhere from an hour to the next day that I can tell.

Is there something in your food diary that you are questioning? Could something have been cooked on/in something that had gluten on it?

kenlove Rising Star

everyone seems a little different, for me it depends if I inhale something or eat something with unknown gluten or its from cross contamination. Anywhere between 10 minutes to a few hours after.

The worst for me is when I inhale flour or something in the air. Just cant go into bakeries!

Does anyone know the typical timeframe from when you ingest gluten to when the symptoms come? I have been gluten free for almost 2 weeks. I've been eating great. I've been feeling great. Then, all of the sudden on Monday I got sick. I had smelly silent gas all day, a growling stomach and then it was capped off at night by 2 bowel movements of "dark pile." Tuesday morning I was a little gassy; nothing major. And then it all stopped. I wonder if it was something from Saturday or Sunday or before...I have a food journal and I want to try to pinpoint this!!

Thoughts?!

MDRB Explorer

Hi,

I guess it depends on how sensitive you are and how much gluten you had. I had to go back onto gluten based meals to get an endoscopy done and became sick about half an hour after ingesting some normal bread. However, if I get CC'd or there is gluten hidden in a sauce or something, I usually go on blissfully unaware until the following morning.

gfp Enthusiast

For me the time frame is variable, the amount ofgluten doesn't sem to exert a measureable control over the other variability.

Issues like general health, what your immune system is up to as well wtc. seem to play a bigger part.

I can get sweats and mood effects after hours and gastro might take 4 hours or 4 days. Also once glutened it comes and goes. I might have a good day or two then it comes back. Sometimes I'll have an epidode where I literally run a fever and have explosive D, sometimes its far milder.

When you constantly take riss (like eating out every week) this can be very hard to pindown. One can overlap or you think you got glutened again and its just last weeks .. coming back for a single poop episode.

The only way I found this out was.

1/ Throw anything non gluten-free outof my kitchen

2/ Eat only at home for 3-4 months (and I mean only food prepared from scratch from home and I really mean scratch, no packets etc. just meat, veg, fruit)

3/ Keep a detailed food and symptom diary.

I did this for 6 months more or less (and its when I really got the last 10% better). Doing this I found that (for me) a single glutening might persist for weeks though it becomes less frequent and less violent overall. I found before a lot of the time I presumed I had slipped up again in the past it was a repercussion of an earlier glutening. With time you get a feeling for the differencebetween a delicate tum and gluten, I'm convnced that this is the only real way to do it though hard as it is and wish I'd known this to start off.

Lots of people say they are gluten-free yet take risks a lot. Apparently the average times a person should have D in a year is 4-6. 6 is nursing mothers and high risk groups. Any more and ... well its not normal.

Plently of people get told "oh you have IBS as well" I don't beleive this is true in 99% of the cases, I think its glutening and people don't realise because they never got to a place with 100% gluten-free. If you eat out, share a kitchen etc. these are allrisks and if you eat food from here 2-3 times a day the chance is you will get CC ..perhaps once a week, perhaps once a month... but because gluten and its effects takes so long to decay these all run together.

just my 2c

Archived