Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shanluts

Argggggg! I Hate gluten-free Bread Baking!

Just made Bobs Red Mill White bread. Exactly the same as last time. Last time was HEAVEN. This time....well you know :rolleyes:

What is up with that????

Ill try again soon I guess.

Shannon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm not familiar with that mix but sometimes baked goods can have a metalic taste from the baking powder. In my experience, the metalic taste become noticable or more pronounced can if there is too much baking powder or if the balance is change when we make substitutions in other ingredients. Many baking powders contain aluminum. There are some non-aluminum brands available. Rumford is one but some of us are having problems with that one and gluten-free/CF baking. Riceguy, a forum member, recently recommended Bob's Red Mill, which is evidently non-aluminum. There is another brand at Whole Foods that I came across but don't recall the name.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

I have this theory that there is a Bread Baking Bean Flour :ph34r: Poltergeist, a spirit caught between the two worlds, that goes around from kitchen to kitchen, trying to bake a perfect loaf and always doomed to failure, and this time it was your turn to host it.

I have this theory that there is a Bread Baking Bean Flour :ph34r: Poltergeist, a spirit caught between the two worlds, that goes around from kitchen to kitchen, trying to bake a perfect loaf and always doomed to failure, and this time it was your turn to host it.

Ha Ha Ha.. good one Takala

I call him "Fred" he is also the one that loses stuff on me, and messes up my office desk :D

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

I would agree with the idea that if the baking powder has aluminum it can mess up the taste. Yes, I do highly recommend Bob's baking powder. I've been using it in all sorts of stuff and it's great!

Also, bean flours can have a offending taste if they are spoiled. That's one thing to avoid with Bob's Red Mill - bean flours. I've never had any bean flour from Bob's that was fresh. I read that due to the heat generated by stone griding, it will cause the oils in the beans to break down, resulting in rancid flour right out of the mill. And of course Bob's uses stone grinding. I buy my bean flours elsewhere, and haven't had any trouble with them.

Bob's gluten-free flour blend has bean flours, so I wouldn't suggest that. If you're just starting out gluten-free baking, I'd suggest trying some things that are easier to get right, and work your way to the other things as you learn how the flours behave. Try some gluten-free cornbread, muffins, cookies, brownies, or a sweetbread. Small things generally turn out good with less practice. You could even make a single muffin so you don't waste a whole bunch of flour.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

:lol::lol::lol:

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies