This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Chex

wowzer

wowzer Community Regular

I got so excited when I got my first box of gluten free Rice Chex. I checked out the recipes on the site, so got the wheels turning here. I had a bag of Kraft strawberry marshmallows. I used the Rice Chex and the marshmallows and made "rice chex treats" I have used other gluten free cereals, but the Rice Chex have a better taste. They have so many Chex recipes on the site and most will work just using the rice chex and can't wait to try others. I even crushed a cup of Rice Chex last night and used them in my meat loaf. I am thinking the possibilities are endless. I'm having fun with them, how about anybody else? I was even happy to just sit down with a bowl of Rice Chex and milk.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

:ph34r: I've been eating them for breakfst lunch and dinner! LOL :ph34r:

I am going to do the rice chex crispies as soon as I get over my little addiction.

Cheri A Contributor
:ph34r: I've been eating them for breakfst lunch and dinner! LOL :ph34r:

I am going to do the rice chex crispies as soon as I get over my little addiction.

:lol: I have not been able to find a box here yet.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

We made the puppy chow, with the chocolate peanut butter and powdered sugar...yum!

Mom23boys Contributor
:lol: I have not been able to find a box here yet.

I haven't found one yet either.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
We made the puppy chow, with the chocolate peanut butter and powdered sugar...yum!

I made this too (we call it Muddy Buddies here :) ) and ate it every night after dinner. So delicious. I've also been bringing it to work with me and eating it plain for snacks. I had a bowl with strawberries and milk too, but the milk made my tummy hurt. I LOVE RICE CHEX!!! ;)

lonewolf Collaborator

Are they a lot better than the Health Valley Rice Crunch'ems? They're a LOT more expensive here and I'm a bit confused as to why everyone is so excited. I can get the HV ones for $2.50 for a 17 oz box and the Rice Chex are $4.29 for a 12.8 oz box.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

Walmart has them for $2.50 a box.

wow, i've never tried the health valley ones, but if they're that much cheaper, you ought to stick with them. i guess it's just the whole "having a food taken away from you, and then having it be ok again" that's got everyone excited. :)

bakingbarb Enthusiast

My local grocery store doesn't have them in yet but Walmart had them so I bought two boxes because I was so excited to see them.

They are kinda boring so I admit I put sugar on them, bananas if we have them.

2ofus2kids2dogs Apprentice

I've been eating a lot of Rice Chex the last week, myself. My husband bought me 2 boxes and he joked yesterday that he should have bought 10!!!! :P

I hadn't thought about making anything with them yet - I've been way TOO BUSY eating them. The rice chex treats sound heavenly, though.

Thanks for the ideas!!!!

Darn210 Enthusiast
Are they a lot better than the Health Valley Rice Crunch'ems? They're a LOT more expensive here and I'm a bit confused as to why everyone is so excited. I can get the HV ones for $2.50 for a 17 oz box and the Rice Chex are $4.29 for a 12.8 oz box.

Liz, I would say that is exactly the opposite for me!! . . . And the Crunch'ems are actually closer to $5.

larry mac Enthusiast

Most (if not all) of the gluten-free cereals here are from just under $4 or higher. I've paid as much as $7 for some Blue Roo Vita-Pro, which I didn't like. HV Crunchems were $3.79 last time I bought some, about six months ago. They are definately the best for their type that I've found, although they are still "light" compared to the real things IMO. I grew tired of them.

Have yet to find anything close to acceptable gluten-free corn flakes.

Our Walmart sells Rice chex for $2.50, but they don't have the barley malt free ones yet.

best regards, lm

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I was thinking that the rice chex could replace some things in cooking. Breading? What I was really thinking was a crust though for a summer pie.

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I haven't checked the price in our normal grocery stores here in town but WalMart has them for $2.89 and I looked when I went to Target last week and they were $2.54ish.

Thanks for posting that the Chex site has recipes on it to get ideas from :D

wowzer Community Regular
I was thinking that the rice chex could replace some things in cooking. Breading? What I was really thinking was a crust though for a summer pie.

It seems like they might have had one on the General Mills site under the chex recipes. Seems like they used it for breading too.

Katester Enthusiast

These posts opened up a whole new world to me! I would have never noticed they were gluten free. Thank you so much. It's like a blast from my gluten filled past. :P

wowzer Community Regular
These posts opened up a whole new world to me! I would have never noticed they were gluten free. Thank you so much. It's like a blast from my gluten filled past. :P

That's how I felt when I first read about them. I even went as far as writing to General Mills thanking them for making my day.

I've been eating a lot of Rice Chex the last week, myself. My husband bought me 2 boxes and he joked yesterday that he should have bought 10!!!! :P

I hadn't thought about making anything with them yet - I've been way TOO BUSY eating them. The rice chex treats sound heavenly, though.

Thanks for the ideas!!!!

lol i bought 4 boxes 2 weeks ago, and 2 more this week. definitely don't want to run out!!

MNBeth Explorer

Found some! (At Rainbow in Coon Rapids, MN, if anyone cares.)

The Health Valley ones are also more expensive for me, and my sister and I both sort of concluded that we didn't feel great after eating those. I've always wondered why they don't say gluten-free on the box.

Anyhoo, I haven't opened my Chex, yet, but I have used the HV ones crushed to bread chicken tenders, and we thought they were pretty good.

I'm loving the marshmallow treats idea - hadn't thought of that! Might even do PB ones and quit buying those pricey Envirokids bars for the boy.

Yellow Rose Explorer

Are we talking about real Rice Chex? If yes, YOOHOO!

Yellow Rose

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

just got an alert that GM rice chex web site has a link for gluten-free recipes.

will see if it works here.

Open Original Shared Link

well linked the the recipe site but got the newpaper article which is good to read too but if you go to this link .......recipes.........the have gluten-free ones.

www.Chex.com.

Judy

MNBeth Explorer
Are we talking about real Rice Chex? If yes, YOOHOO!

Yes, ma'am!! But watch carefully - gluteny ones are still VERY available. But the gluten-free ones say so right on the front of the box. :lol:

gheidie Newbie

wow!! Great recipes... I must try the peanutty squares!!!!! yum yum

excellent recipes!!

Archived