Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gamow

Food Banks & Charities For Gluten-intolerant Patients

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who is gluten-intolerant, has struggled with chronic illness, and now has very limited financial means to obtain gluten-free foods. Food banks, unfortunately, stock little of what is needed. Other food-intolerances including msg-sensitivity (migraines, GI intolerance) compound the problem.

Any suggestions on resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

G.A.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would contact the nearest Celiac support group.

I know during hurricane Katrina the support groups sent specialty foods.

I can't remember for sure Celiac Support A (CSA) and Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG).

Can you contact local health food stores? (They might have some products nearing the experation date they would have to unload at a discount or take a full tax write off.)

From doing some fundraisers, I have found Costco has been wonderfull. Costco does have some gluten free products and in my experience usually will donate fifty dollars. Contact them as early in the month as possible as the funds the allocate for charity goes fast.

Michigan

Thank you so very much for your suggestions, Mommida. I'll pass this on immediately to the person who is very much in need, and very much living day to day.

Gratefully,

G. A.

try angelfood ministries (they have a website). They have LOW cost meat available. If you explain the celiac issue they will let him buy only the meat.

Shannon

CSA stands for Celiac Sprue Association.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies