Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Acersma

Probiotics Effects

I am on the 3rd day taking Probiotics. I have recently started a nut free, dairy/milk free, and of course for the past 9months gluten free diet. Started the probiotics due to bloating, nauseau and gas associated w/ the dairy. I have become even more bloated (didn't know it was possible) I am now constipated 2 1/2 days which is constipated for me. And gassy but really not even able to get it out. I feel like my stomach or intestines are actually "working" down there as there is movement and hard to discribe but movement. Anyone want to tell me any similar symptoms or what they went through in the beginning? Or did it get better?

Thank you,

Jody

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I did not do well with Probiotics. I remember that I felt nauseated and stopped them after only a few days.

If they don't work for you, try some yogurt which also has the "good" bacteria.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I tried yogart but that and cheese and sour cream, butter, milk, cottage cheese, all the dairy has been making me ill. So yogart is not a good thing for me right now. Soon I hope but like i mentioned I am going dairy free and nut free for a while and see what is going on. Thank you for your response though! Always appreciated!

I tried yogart but that and cheese and sour cream, butter, milk, cottage cheese, all the dairy has been making me ill. So yogart is not a good thing for me right now. Soon I hope but like i mentioned I am going dairy free and nut free for a while and see what is going on. Thank you for your response though! Always appreciated!

I am on the 3rd day taking Probiotics. I have recently started a nut free, dairy/milk free, and of course for the past 9months gluten free diet. Started the probiotics due to bloating, nauseau and gas associated w/ the dairy. I have become even more bloated (didn't know it was possible) I am now constipated 2 1/2 days which is constipated for me.

Don't probiotics come from dairy? I just picked some up yesterday and started taking them, myself. I would think that if probiotics do have dairy in them and you don't do well on dairy, that these probiotics would be a problem for you. Then again, I don't know a whole lot about probiotics.

I don't know how long you have been gluten-free, but you might be able to handle dairy at some future time. You could then try the probiotics again some other time when your gut has healed.

Hi,

Are you taking the probiotics in capsule form or are you taking the little drink versions?

I took the little drink things and didn't have any problems with constipation, however I think that they contain dairy.

You could try going off them for a few days to see if your symptoms are relieved, this would at least confirm that the two things are related. If your symptoms are relieved when you stop taking them, you could try reducing the amount you are taking. Maybe take them once a week at first and increasing the amount slowly.

Good Luck

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Probiotics balance the good and the bad bacteria in our guts. They can also be gotten from fermented foods like saurkraut. My naturopath told me to eat that instead of yogurt since I can't do dairy or soy. If you are feeling worse on the pills I would drop them.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Probiotics gave me a noticeable difference after being on them for over a week. The first week was TERRIBLE, but then my body evened out.

I'd say give them a chance, but stay on it for a month.

So much for easy fixes, huh? ;)

Goal Checklist:

100% Gluten Free Home [x]

Endoscopy [ ]

Entero Labs Gene Test [ ]

Weight Gain (current: 105lbs.) [ ]

Husband's Support [x]

Learn to Cook [x]

First House [ ]

Pregnancy [ ]

Unhealthy for 25 years. Always too skinny, always "diagnosed" by a hypochondriac mother. Pre-diagnosed by a walk-in clinic doctor April 2008 despite a negative blood-test. "Gluten-free" since then -- barring, of course, all the learning curve accidents I'm still suffering! Official diagnosis still pending.