Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A**T

Celiac Test Results - 2 Doctors Are Stumped!

I was hoping that you could help me understand my test results. I have been to two different doctors and they are not sure if I actually have Celiac or not. The 2nd doctor that I did go to is a Gastroenterologist and he was stumped. Here are the results:

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody, IGA - my result is <3

Explination of the test results

<5 is negative

5-8 is Equivocal

>8 is positive

Immunoglobulin A - my result is 491

The reference range is 81-463

Gliadin Antibody (IGA) - my result is 12

<11 is Negative

11-17 is Equvocal

>17 is Positive

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas please do let me know I am very confused and frustrated. The Gastroenterologist wants to do more blood work and also the genetic testing. The only symptoms that I have are I do get rashes on my arms and legs - not bad they just flare up occasionally with certain foods. I have not been able to isolate when they flare up and if wheat/gluten is to blame. I am wondering if it is an allergy or perhaps in fact Celiac. The Gastroenterologist thought possibly I may be in the early stages of Celiac or he said I may not have it. Can Celiacs have different stages? I thought it was an all or noting thing either you have it or you don't? He said based on my test results he doesn't think I have Celiac but he is not 100% sure. Please let me know if you understand my blood work and what your thoughts are or if you think I should get additonal testing and if so which ones?

Thank you in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, you can get an explanation about the antiglidin test at Dr. Ford's website (just type in ford gluten into google)

If your tests are negative for the ttg and positive for the antigliadin, you are currently gluten-sensitive and most doctors think you are not celiac (unless you happen to have a positive biopsy)

The gut heals very quickly and in those who do not tolerate gluten, the gut mi just manage to repair as quickly as it is damaged from gluten.

But, in times of stress, the body might not catch up and full-blown celiac is the result.

You might be in-between somewhere, but positive antigliadin test does mean something, namely gluten-sensitivity (but the gastroenterologist does not think such a thing exists)

Are you in Europe or the US?

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

I was hoping that you could help me understand my test results. I have been to two different doctors and they are not sure if I actually have Celiac or not. The 2nd doctor that I did go to is a Gastroenterologist and he was stumped. Here are the results:

Tissue Transglutaminase Antibody, IGA - my result is <3

<5 is negative

5-8 is Equivocal

>8 is positive

Immunoglobulin A - my result is 491

The reference range is 81-463

Gliadin Antibody (IGA) - my result is 12

<11 is Negative

11-17 is Equvocal

>17 is Positive

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas please do let me know I am very confused and frustrated. The Gastroenterologist wants to do more blood work and also the genetic testing. The only symptoms that I have are I do get rashes on my arms and legs - not bad they just flare up occasionally with certain foods. I have not been able to isolate when they flare up and if wheat/gluten is to blame. I am wondering if it is an allergy or perhaps in fact Celiac. The Gastroenterologist thought possibly I may be in the early stages of Celiac or he said I may not have it. Can Celiacs have different stages? I thought it was an all or noting thing either you have it or you don't? He said based on my test results he doesn't think I have Celiac but he is not 100% sure. Please let me know if you understand my blood work and what your thoughts are or if you think I should get additonal testing and if so which ones?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Nora,

Thank you for getting back to me. I am in the US. What is the difference between Celiac and gluten sensitivity? Do I need to avoid gluten? Should I follow a gluten free diet?

If you are gluten sensitive you should avoid gluten. Eventually it could pass the "threshold" of antibodies produced and cause full blown celiac. There is a threshold and sometimes people without the celiac genes pass it. But even if you don't, your reaction could just keep getting worse and worse. Good luck. I had rashes too that are from wheat. I know how frustrating it can be not knowing.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Here in Europe you would definitely try to get an official diagnosis, but not neccessarily in the US.

The most specific of the tests, the ttg test, was negative, but a biopsy might still show that the villi in the small intestine are damaged. I read today that the damage can be anywhere in the intestines but they only scope to the first part of the intestine so they miss a lot of cases....

Just read on Dr. Ford's site, and here too. Dr. Ford has some articles here on celiac.com too.

And, if you google Hadjivassiliou, you find that the antigliadin antibodies attack the brain and the central nervous system, so they are not harmless.

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)