• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Sweetfudge

Streusel Topped Apple Muffins

Rate this topic

I made these for a family brunch last weekend. They turned out sooo great! All my gluten-eating relatives were raving about them. My aunt even emptied the platter of them onto a paper plate when we were leaving. So much for leftovers :)

http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_bread/#applemuff

I made these for a family brunch last weekend. They turned out sooo great! All my gluten-eating relatives were raving about them. My aunt even emptied the platter of them onto a paper plate when we were leaving. So much for leftovers :)

http://www.eatingglutenfree.com/recipes_bread/#applemuff

These look delicious! Thanks for posting!

Emily

Thank you for posting this link to eating gluten-free. Somehow, I've never discovered it, and many of the recipies sound very interesting and unusual. I definately want to try some of the sauces.

best regards, lm

I can't help but rave about this website. The 2 ladies who run it both live in my area, and host a cooking class once a month. They've helped me so much, and I have yet to make a bad recipe! I seriously reccommend their cookbook! I have almost ruined mine with so much use and so many spills (along with tears of joy at eating delicous baked goods again)! Definitely a must!

I can't help but rave about this website. The 2 ladies who run it both live in my area, and host a cooking class once a month. They've helped me so much, and I have yet to make a bad recipe! I seriously reccommend their cookbook! I have almost ruined mine with so much use and so many spills (along with tears of joy at eating delicous baked goods again)! Definitely a must!

Sf,

Would you recommend the second book or getting both books?

best regards, lm

Sweetfudge,

The streusel muffin recipe sounded so good that I tried this right away. One drawback is that one gluten-free can't eat corn right now, so had to substitute potato starch (didn't have any arrowroot). I thought it wouldn't make much difference, but it must have. The muffins didn't rise at all. Do you think the potato starch caused this? I think if the muffins had risen at all they would have been good. Because of "no corn" we make our own baking powder using cream of tartar. Maybe I need to use more, because of this?! If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

Sf,

Would you recommend the second book or getting both books?

best regards, lm

As far as I know, they only have one book so far, but I would definitely recommend it. I bought it for my aunt who has a wheat allergy, and she went out and got it for her gluten-eating daughter :)

Sweetfudge,

The streusel muffin recipe sounded so good that I tried this right away. One drawback is that one gluten-free can't eat corn right now, so had to substitute potato starch (didn't have any arrowroot). I thought it wouldn't make much difference, but it must have. The muffins didn't rise at all. Do you think the potato starch caused this? I think if the muffins had risen at all they would have been good. Because of "no corn" we make our own baking powder using cream of tartar. Maybe I need to use more, because of this?! If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

Hm, a good question, but not one I would be able to answer. I'm good at following the directions of a recipe, but not the person to tell you why or how. I would take that one to the many bakers here :D

Jo Ann -

The substitution of potato starch for corn starch shouldn't make a difference - I've done that in the featherlight mix before, and haven't had a problem. It might be the baking powder - but if it's working okay in your other recipes, then it ought to work just fine here, too. Hmmm . .. Did you make any other modifications to the recipe?

Betsy

larry mac -

We're still working on the second book - I don't think we'll publish it until around November this year.

Oooh a second book! I am so excited!