Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Racheleona

Baking Bread

Hi everyone,

I think I'm going to give up the baking bread business. The first time I baked a bread it was in the oven, and it came out burnt on the outside, and totally gummy on the inside. The second time, I purchased a breadman that was on sale at target, and used this and it was wwwaay under done. Yesterday, I thought I'd buy a new machine, its a Sunbeam, and was so excited when I took it out and it actually looked done, besides the fact that the crust on the top was not hard at all (you couldn't hear anything if you tapped on it). The heals were fine, but all throughout the rest of the bread was gummy doughy texture. To be honest it looks done even on the inside for the most part besides looking doughy toward the bottom of the loaf.

I was wondering...even though I'm following the measurments exactly for the recipes, maybe if I used less liquid if it would come out more done??Because these breadmachines have no way of programming them to cook longer than the set cycle, and anyhow baking longer would burn my crust...any suggestions?

Thanks, Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My one experience with the oven produced the same results...it was raw in the middle. I have a Welbilt (sp?) bread machine that makes 1 to 1 1/2 pound loaves. I have been buying the Gluten Free Pantry Favorite Sandwich Breadmix. Since my machine makes smaller loaves, I half the recipe. I use milk instead of water, and I also make sure the egg and milk are at room temperature. Although it says to use the medium setting, I use the light setting. The cycle is 2 hours and 45 minutes, but I take it out after about 2 1/2 hours and it comes out great! This is for my 7 year old boy, and he likes it and takes a sandwich to school with it everyday. Maybe your machine makes smaller loaves and you are putting too much mix in? I don't know, just a thought! Good Luck!! :)

I have a Welbilt too; it works great every time. Even though it makes a 1.5 lb loaf, when I make gluten-free bread, I only make a 1 lb loaf. I think the smaller loaf works better because gluten-free breads do not rise like conventional breads. Here is the recipe I use (adapted from another recipe I found on a different website):

2 cups gluten-free flour (I use B. Hagman's - 2 parts brown rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca flour)

1/3 cup ground flax seed

3 Tbs Sugar

2 tsp Xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

1.5 tsp yeast

2 Tbs Oil

2 Eggs

1 cup gluten-free buttermilk

This bread turns out great every time. It is great for grilled cheese sandwiches. My daughter loves it.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies...I did make a recipe that specifically said it was for 2 lb loaf, and I set my machine to 2 lbs., and the one I made before in the other bread machine I bought was a different recipe for 1.5 lbs. which I set the machine to 1.5 lbs! I don't understand why its not coming out done!! The ingredients were all at room temp. as well. The complete cycle for this sunbeam machine is 3 hours, I used the basic bread setting, it says the total baking time out of the 3 hours is 1 hour. I think that for some reason I need to use less liquid ingredients in my recipes, and maybe they'll bake more... <_< I don't know! I just want a regular tasting bread, and I keep seeing people post about their wonderful home baked gluten-free breads, but I have such bad luck!