This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free/cf Pancake Or Waffle Recipes Or Mixes

missy'smom

missy'smom Collaborator

I've tried the Arrowhead Mills and Orgran Apple Cinnamon mixes and they were lacking in both texture and flavor.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I like Pamela's Mixes.

One member here (Gulia) likes to make fried onion rings with the pancake batter. Yum!

missy'smom Collaborator

I love Pamela's too :) but it has buttermilk powder in it. :(

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I like Authentic Foods.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I like Namaste's pancake mix. I make it with almond milk, and cinnamon and vanilla. I've served it to loads of people who aren't Gluten-free Casein-free, and they all like the pancakes. They freeze well, pack well for skiing or backpacking. All in all, a very tasty, and practical pancake. :D

jerseyangel Proficient

We love Gluten Free Pantry--I use vanilla almond milk and add blueberries.

MDRB Explorer
I've tried the Arrowhead Mills and Orgran Apple Cinnamon mixes and they were lacking in both texture and flavor.

I live in Australia so I doubt we'd have the same brands. However I find that the gluten free buckwheat pancake mixes are the best, fluffy, light and tasty. Just make sure that they are gluten free because a lot of buckwheat mixes have wheat flour in them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Thanks everyone! Now I have a bunch more options to try. Yeah!

Darn210 Enthusiast

There was a recipe for a "just like Pamela's" in the baking/cooking section. I've used several times and it has worked well. It uses buttermilk powder which you could leave out and then instead of mixing with water, mix with almond or rice milk (or half alternative milk and half water because you don't really put that much buttermilk powder in). I'll go searching for it and if I can find it, I'll post the link. If I can't find it, I have a hard copy that I'll type in tomorrow.

Darn210 Enthusiast

AaaaHaaaa!!!! Found It!!!

I found this on the Internet--don't remember where--and haven't yet tried it.

Almost-like-Pamela's baking mix:

ItchyMeredith Contributor

Trader Joe's has one. We just tried it and it's good. The texture is better than the others I have tried.

JennyC Enthusiast

We use the following recipe and LOVE it! :D The only change I make is to double the flours added to the recipe.

1. separate 4 eggs (yes, 4. I know it's a lot!)

2. set yolks aside

3. whip whites to stiff peaks, set aside

4. melt 4 TBSP "buttery stick" or similar

5. slowly whip melted "butter" into yolks

6. mix in 1 cup soy milk (or whatever)

7. add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

8. add 1/4 tsp salt

9. add 2 TBSP sugar

10. add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder

11. add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

12. in a dry 1/2 cup measure, fill about a third of it with potato starch

13. full the remaining space in the 1/2 cup measure with gluten-free flour mix

14. mix well

15. carefully fold egg whites into the batter

Use your waffle iron's instructions. I get four round waffles. They're really fluffy (read: eggy) but I like them that way. I prefer waffles to scrambled eggs.

Dyan Rookie

We use the recipe from the gluten free kitchen. My daughter is the only one who needs to avoid gluten but we all are by proxy. She and I have never really cared for pancakes until we tried these. They taste better than full gluten ones and their texture is perfectly normal.

ButterMilk Pancakes (but I always use milk with a little vinegar)

1/4 C sugar

2 T shortening

2 T oil

1 egg

3/4 C cornstarch

3/4 C potato starch

1/4 t xanthan gum

1/2 t salt

1 1/4 t baking powder

1/4 t baking soda

3/4 C buttermilk*

*I usually pour 1 tsp of white vinegar in my 1 cup measuring cup and then add milk to the top. If you take to long to prepare everything it will curdle a little. But it really is ok.

In my mixer I mix the sugar and the shortening. Then add everything else but the milk. When everything is combined, add the milk. Mix it well, removing all the lumps. You can judge the thickness, and add more milk if needed. Then cook them like normal.

Wonka Apprentice
We use the recipe from the gluten free kitchen. My daughter is the only one who needs to avoid gluten but we all are by proxy. She and I have never really cared for pancakes until we tried these. They taste better than full gluten ones and their texture is perfectly normal.

I'm going to give these a try. I love recommended recipes.

lcbannon Apprentice

This is Alton Brown's recipe made gluten-free and its WONDERFUL....

1 1/4 cup gluten-free Flour Mix

3/4 cup Sorguhm Flour or just 2 cups gluten-free Flour

1/2 t. baking soda

1 t. baking powder

1 t. salt

3 T. Sugar -- NOTE I left the sugar out and we did not miss it a bit

3 eggs

2 T. unsalted Butter

2 cups buttermilk or powder and water (room Temp for both)

In a medium bowl whisk together the flours,soda,powder,salt and sugar. In other bowl beat together eggs, butter then add buttermilk.

Add the wet to dry and stir till combined. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes then pour into HOT iron and cook. These freeze well too

HiDee Rookie
AaaaHaaaa!!!! Found It!!!

gluten-free PANCAKE MIX (BULK)

2 cups brown rice flour

2 cups white rice flour

2 cups potato starch

2 cups tapioca starch

1 cup cornstarch

4 Tablespoons (1/4 cup) baking powder

8 Tablespoons (1/2 cup) sugar

2 teaspoons salt

4 teaspoons xanthan gum

For pancakes, mix with 3 eggs, 1

Jo Ann Apprentice

Our family likes the recipe from "allrecipes.com" which is as follows:

Pancakes and Waffles

1 c. rice flour

3 Tbls. tapioca flour

1/3 c. potato starch

4 Tbls. buttermilk powder

1 Tbls. sugar

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. xanthan gum

2 eggs

3 Tbls. canola oil

2 c. water

Sift or mix together all dry ingredients. Stir in eggs, water and oil until well blended and few lumps remain.

Heat oiled griddle to approx. 350 degrees. Spoon batter onto griddle and cook until bubbles form. Flip, and continue cooking until golden brown.

We are dairy free and substitute approx. 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk soured with lemon juice for the buttermilk. Even the non-celiacs like these pancakes, and they are less expensive than a mix.

Archived