• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Ivanna44

Sun Screens/tan In A Bottle What Brands Do You Use?

Rate this topic

Hi,

Just wondering as it is that upcoming season. Which brands of sunscreen and tan in a bottle do you use? With all these "hidden" glutens in items like lotions etc. I'm just curious as to what brands are gluten free. I am pale toned, I burn very easily, so due to these factors, I tend to use sunscreens, wear long sleeves shirts a lot, and fake the tan, by using Tan in a Bottle. I quite like L'Oreal's Sublime Self Tanning Lotion, as it goes on well, and seems to last a while, and has no extra perfumy smells. However, no that I am gluten free by doctor's orders, I am not sure what to use anymore. I hate being pale/pale in the summer months. I also don't like sunscreens with heavy fragances added to them, I prefer unscented if possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

I use Banana Boat sunscreen and the face stick. I believe their tanning lotions are NOT gluten free.

Sorry, I don't use self tanning lotion so not sure.

A lot of the companies are very friendly if you like a certain brand I would call their 800 line that's what I did with Banana Boat last summer.

GOOD LUCK

I was looking at some of the Neutrogena sunscreens the other day. Some were (SPF 55 and 70) and some were not (SPF 30, SPF 45). I thought that was strange...but reading the fine print it turned out to be true. I would be careful within a brand...just in case there is a difference.

Hi,

Just wondering as it is that upcoming season. Which brands of sunscreen and tan in a bottle do you use? With all these "hidden" glutens in items like lotions etc. I'm just curious as to what brands are gluten free. I am pale toned, I burn very easily, so due to these factors, I tend to use sunscreens, wear long sleeves shirts a lot, and fake the tan, by using Tan in a Bottle. I quite like L'Oreal's Sublime Self Tanning Lotion, as it goes on well, and seems to last a while, and has no extra perfumy smells. However, no that I am gluten free by doctor's orders, I am not sure what to use anymore. I hate being pale/pale in the summer months. I also don't like sunscreens with heavy fragances added to them, I prefer unscented if possible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks

I knew for last summer coopertone was safe, but as always I check every year because companies change their ingredients, your best bet is to email or call them!

I use AllTerrain's sportblock. I prefer physical sunblocks (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) over chemical sunscreens (the list goes on and on...). That being said, even though I am also pale skinned and burn easily, I make a point of getting 10-20 minutes of sun a day (often spaced out early in the season to avoid burning) over as much body as can be exposed (summer's aren't always warm in the PacNorthwest ;) ), to build up ample supplies of vitD. Sunblock prevents this, and can be a source of vitD deficiency.

Hi,

thanks

Thank you all for suggestions,

I probably will email a few companies; however I know it can take forever to get a response back, if they do at all. :(

thank you very much celiac-mommy for typing out those ingredients, That must have took you FOREVER :) it was appreciated.

GlutenGalAZ thanks for the Banana Boat suggestion, by the way, my daughter loves your dog She's a huge papillon fan :wub: .. we've been looking for one as a pet for a while now.

tarnalberry I hear you with the lack of summer, also way up North here. We seem to get 2 weeks of ok spring type weather when I don't worry about sunscreen, and then boom hot!!!!!!! We had 73F odd last Sunday, and this coming week we are in for snow and below normal temps... It's a yo-yo weather pattern here. Until end of May when it just goes boom hot!!! :angry: I'm not a huge hot weather fan.

Ta! Moongirl for the Coppertone suggestion.

(summer's aren't always warm in the PacNorthwest ;) )
I grew up under the SeaTac Airport flight pattern, so I know what you mean. I don't know if the "joke" is still running, but when someone would ask "what do you do around here in the summer" the stock answer was "if it comes on the week-end we have a picnic.!" :ph34r: No joke, one summer (early - mid 60's I think) I did not wear shorts even once.

Sorry I can't offer help on the tanning lotions. I have an olive complexion and tan easily, and just naturally get darker in the summer. I wish more people had Ivanna's desire for unscented products - the beach sometimes smells like a syrup of coconut oil and banana oil.