Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gliadine IgA was 2, range is <7

gliadine IgG was 8, range is <7 RESULT IS HIGH

CAP RAST IgE for wheat was negative

Endomysium IgA <1 (0-19.99) <----this is the one that I'm not sure what it is.

I don't see anything for ttg which is frustrating, and no total IgA.

I should have a referral to a gastro doc in a couple of weeks, my dr said they will probably test all Ig's (so hopefully a total IgA at that point) and want to do an endoscopy/biopsy. Hopefully they will do a ttg test as well (I will ask).

But I am having some sort of reaction to wheat per the IgG test, so once all testing is done I will for sure go off wheat and then do a challenge if things come back inconclusive.

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You scored "less than 1" on the EMA IgA, and the reference range for "normal" is 0 - 19.99.

With your next doctor, bring the list of tests that you want done, and request that they are. You need the total IgA test done, otherwise your risk of false negatives is higher.

The AntiGliadin IgG may or may not be a celiac indicator. The IgG test is highly sensitive, but is less specific to celiac disease.

http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...C05-Testing.htm

Causes of false positive celiac serologic tests

The endomysial antibody test is virtually 100% specific for celiac disease. However anti-tTG has been reported to be positive in the presence of liver disease, especially cirrhosis [33], diabetes [34, 35] and severe heart failure [36], as well as arthritis [37] and various autoimmune disorders [38]. The use of human tTG as the antigen in the test kit adds some greater specificity. Antigliadin antibodies may be present in inflammatory bowel disease [39], collagen vascular disease [40], and in many healthy people as well [41].

This link is a little older, but does have some relevant portions.

https://www.celiac.com/articles/57/1/Interp...ults/Page1.html

Anti-Gliadin Antibodies:

Both IgA and IgG anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) are detected in sera of patients with gluten sensitive enteropathy (celiac disease). IgG anti-gliadin antibodies are more sensitive but are less specific markers for disease compared with IgA class antibodies. IgA anti-gliadin antibodies are less sensitive but are more specific. In clinical trials, the IgA antibodies have a specificity of 97% but the sensitivity is only 71%. That means that, if a patient is IgA positive, there is a 97% probability that they have celiac disease. Conversely, if the patient is IgA negative, there is only a 71% probability that the patient is truly negative for celiac disease. Therefore, a positive result is a strong indication that the patient has the disease but a negative result does not necessarily mean that they don not have it. False positive results are rather uncommon but false negative results can occur. On the other hand, the IgG anti-gliadin antibodies are 91% specific and have an 87% sensitivity. This means that they will show positive results more readily but there is not as strong a correlation with celiac disease. It is less specific. Patients with other conditions but not afflicted with celiac disease will occasionally show positive results. IgG anti-gliadin antibodies are detectable in approximately 21% of patients with other gastrointestinal disorders. This test might yield false positive results but is less likely to yield false negative results.

Tha EMA is a measurement of the Antiemdomesial IgA antobody. It is highly specific to celiac, but is less sensitive than the TtG. You are right, though that 2 of the most important tests (Total IgA and tTg) are missing.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank for explaining. I will be sure to take a list with me, though I am not sure the tests are the same in Italy (I mean the names of the tests of course). The dr I am going to see is supposed to speak English, so hopefully we'll communicate well and the names of the tests are the same no matter where you live!

Nancy