Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

roxie

Centrum Vitamins

Hey! I have been taking centrum vitamins for about a year now, and thought I had read that they were gluten free. I just called them, and none of their vitamins are presently gluten free. Just thought I would share. Now I have to find some that are. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

When I called them 6 months ago they told me I had to call in with the product number on the bottle each time I bought them.

They said the formula changes with each batch they produce. I had 2 bottles here, regular and silver when I called. The silver was gluten-free and the regular was not.

Ken

Hey! I have been taking centrum vitamins for about a year now, and thought I had read that they were gluten free. I just called them, and none of their vitamins are presently gluten free. Just thought I would share. Now I have to find some that are. Thanks!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

yup, i had commented on this a few months back when i called Wyeth to inquire first about Advil, but then about all of their products that i might use... i had just been diagnosed and was using Centrum at the time. I switched over to Nature Made shortly thereafter, who clearly labels their vitamins as free of gluten.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry383161

Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993

Positive Blood Test - November, 2007

Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007

Gluten Free since December 3, 2007

Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

Nature Made marks there bottles gluten free. They are available at Costco in large bottles which makes it a lot less expensive than buying them at a health food store. Also, the Kirkland (Costco brand) mutli-vitamins are marked gluten free on the bottle.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

I called Wyeth today to see what they'd tell me, (because sometimes the info can change depending on which rep you speak to <_< ) and the person there told me that "none of the Centrum vitamins are considered gluten-free."

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Maybe I should call them again with the same batch number that they told me was safe. COuld be we get to a different call center from Hawaii.

I did switch to Nature Made and Costco for all the other vitamins.

ken

I called Wyeth today to see what they'd tell me, (because sometimes the info can change depending on which rep you speak to <_< ) and the person there told me that "none of the Centrum vitamins are considered gluten-free."

Japanese proverb

No wonder why I threw up the last time I tried taking one. <_<

Hashimoto's (Hypothyroidism) 07

Anemia, Folic acid and B12 deficiencies Feb/08

Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus April/08

Biopsy and endoscopy pos 08

Chronic Gastritis - barf - 08

My daughter has been taking Centrum everyday for months now because I thought I had read that they were safe. I was surprised when I read this thread so I went to their website and this is what they say on there:

"2. Is Centrum gluten-free and is it safe for people with celiac disease to take?

Yes, Centrum is gluten-free and suitable for individuals with celiac disease. "

If what you were told on the phone is correct that would explain why she has been feeling so bad! I am very upset!

My daughter has been taking Centrum everyday for months now because I thought I had read that they were safe. I was surprised when I read this thread so I went to their website and this is what they say on there:

"2. Is Centrum gluten-free and is it safe for people with celiac disease to take?

Yes, Centrum is gluten-free and suitable for individuals with celiac disease. "

If what you were told on the phone is correct that would explain why she has been feeling so bad! I am very upset!

I'm thinking that this was old information on the website. I used to take Centrum, and called them about 2 years ago. At that time I was told that Centrum was certified gluten-free. I stopped taking it soon afterward, though since something in it was making me sick--probably the soy.

They must have changed their formula or possibly the vitamin E or another inactive ingredient is now derived from wheat.

Hope your daughter feels better soon! :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I stopped taking ALL vitamins about a month ago, and don't plan to take any again. I figure I can get enough vitamins and minerals from my diet to sustain life. :)

CeeCee

Allergic to: wheat, peanuts and Penicillin

1995 severe anaphylactic reaction to Wheat

Gluten free since Sept. 2006

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently"--- Henry Ford

I stopped all of them for a year after I was diagnosed but found my energy level really low and things not right.

Thanks to Yolo and other members putting me onto some other gluten-free vitamins, I'm feeling much better with energy back to normal levels.

I stopped taking ALL vitamins about a month ago, and don't plan to take any again. I figure I can get enough vitamins and minerals from my diet to sustain life. :)

Japanese proverb

I read on a list somewhere that they were gluten free, all except the silver ones. So I bought some. They made me very sick. I gave them away and will not try them again. I stick to my Nature Made vitamins. Country Life Vitamins (which can be ordered from Lame Advertisement.com very easily and quickly online) have now been certified gluten free. I buy my B12 from them and my Ester C. I think it's wonderful when a company does this for us.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

They really need to get their act together.

They told me silver was ok (the batch number I have) and the regular ones my wife takes were not gluten-free.

I've not had any problems from taking them but will not buy them again as they said I did have to call, and wait and wait and wait

for them to answer with each batch number.

I read on a list somewhere that they were gluten free, all except the silver ones. So I bought some. They made me very sick. I gave them away and will not try them again. I stick to my Nature Made vitamins. Country Life Vitamins (which can be ordered from Lame Advertisement.com very easily and quickly online) have now been certified gluten free. I buy my B12 from them and my Ester C. I think it's wonderful when a company does this for us.

Japanese proverb

I agree, they need to get their act together. And, I think we should all avoid centrum vitamins right now.